This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

pancake shoulder

Started by Garry Barker, September 1, 2017 · 22 Replies · 298 Views

Garry Barker

Just started the middle stretch and finding some of the movements impossible for example the pancake shoulder .

Basically I'm that seized up I can't even hold the starting position even when using a block. Will the other movements help loosen me up for this one or do I just have to hold in a bad position till it gets better?

Thank you

Nicholas Cooper

Hi Garry,

have you looked at the videos for each stretch? If you go login on your portal, go to Fitness --> Course library  then follow along to the the course and exercise you stuck with and watch the video that is provided. They have great tips. Using a band has helped me a lot. Still some way to go. 

Garry Barker

Hi Nicholas

Thanks for the reply

I have watched the technique video but I still can't straddle and sit up straight (it's that bad) never mind attempt a shoulder pancake. Hopefully the others will help in getting more flexible for this one.

Nicholas Cooper

Hi Garry,

When I started i just spent time sitting in the position. No shoulder pancake. Spent a few minutes every day just sitting in the position.Bum raised as high as I needed to keep my back straight. Maybe try a chair and work your way down from that.

Garry Barker

I think a chair could be the answer. Will give it a go tonight. 

Looking forward to seeing the results a year from now.

Thanks again

Everett Carroll
7 hours ago, Garry Barker said:

I think a chair could be the answer.

Could be. At least multiple blocks, Garry. Please keep us updated (send in form check media if possible). 

Garry Barker

Thanks Everett. 

Think i will wait a couple of weeks before posting a form check though  (it's that bad)

Everett Carroll

Post anytime, Garry. There is no shame in trying to improve, regardless of your starting point. 

Garry Barker

Ok here is my attempt. Its my absolute max believe it or not.

I can get to about 25-30mins through the course and have to stop. 

Tanya Hill

Hi Garry, 

Great choice at grabbing something to sit on. With your bottom arm see if you can grab your opposite knee to pull yourself a bit deeper. You are definitely on the right track, keep working at it each week. Gains will show. :)

Garry Barker

Will be interesting to look back at this video this time next year

Luke Searra

Gary, with consistent stretching, thus time next year you will surprise yourself when you compare the videos back to back  - I guarantee it

Frank Santasiero

Garry,

I believe it since I was in about the same place. Been doing this for 8 months and I have improved a little bit. My body has been somewhat reluctant to want to bend sideways. One thing that has improved a bit more is that my legs are spread open wider.

Luke Searra

Frank and Gary if you both have before and after videos or pictures please post them here for the forum !

Garry Barker
On 05/09/2017 at 8:45 PM, Luke Searra said:

Frank and Gary if you both have before and after videos or pictures please post them here for the forum !

Sorry for the last reply @Luke Searra

Would it be better to post a short video now and then another one a year from now or post them both in a years time. 

I started the course only last week so am right at the beginning.

Everett Carroll

Either way, Gary, just as long as you take a before photo soon.

Frank Santasiero

I don't have any photos from when I started but I will take some now. Hopefully I can send a before (now) and after sometime in 2018 showing noticeable improvement. My body really doesn't like to bend to the side. No pain or injury just stiff as a tin man.

Garry Barker
1 hour ago, Frank Santasiero said:

My body really doesn't like to bend to the side. No pain or injury just stiff as a tin man.

I'm with you on this one!

Garry Barker

This is the best i can get a the moment

20170829_184349.thumb.jpg.5e53aa0b5e1678bbcaff23ba6beb4ff7.jpg

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Garry Barker,

I just want to add that this is where the Foundation Courses will help. In the Foundations, it helps you fix everything slowly since you are doing 7 elements with exercises that has incorporated mobility. :) 

Manuel Gonzales-Luna

Hi! I have a related follow-up question:

I'm at about the same level as OP/Garry (that is, I'm doing my pancake work while sitting on a bench), and I wanted to know if I should still be pointing my toes and externally rotating my legs.

Thanks!

Alessandro Mainente

yes, especially the external rotation.

Manuel Gonzales-Luna

Got it--thanks.