This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Why some Side Lever progressions will benefit your Planche

Started by Léo Aïtoulha, August 30, 2017 · 4 Replies · 226 Views

Léo Aïtoulha

As owners of the Foundation 2 training program, what you have probably noticed by now is the transverse aspect of the numerous covered exercises. It means that working on a progression leading to a specific exercise might in some cases have some carryover to other specific exercises.

I find that this is especially the case with a few Side Lever progressions covered in Foundation 2, which have a huge carryover on the Planche.

Let me explain this with this very simple analogy matrix below (I own none of the pictures, most of them belong to GymnasticBodies):

image.png.d97b7b165a34d5cda760ad198e375a36.png

You do recognize the exercise that I circled in red right? This exercise is included somewhere in the Side Lever progressions.

I will explain you why it has a huge carryover on your Planche progression.

The Planche requires:

  • Strength in the shoulder flexors (anterior deltoid, pectoralis major, biceps brachii ) and the elbow flexors (brachialis, biceps brachii, brachoradialis)
    • The elbow flexors are resisting elbow hyperextension to protect the joint (especially the distal biceps tendon)
  • Posterior core strength: strength in the hip extensors (glutes, hamstrings) and thoraric/lumbar spine extensors (erector spinae). These muscles are working very hard against gravity to keep your back straight and aligned

The shoulder and elbow flexors strength is what allows you to LEAN and it is covered by the Planche Lean.

Once you have a solid Planche Lean, what is the missing link to achieve the Planche? You have to LIFT your legs by leaving the feet support you are using (or extend them from a Tuck Planche):

image.png.558269d1729d240089b3a4b856e53cdf.png

The exercise which will tremedously help you with this part is the Reverse Body Hold:

image.png.a69745d2eceffadeb96f7f7cd0900c85.png

The Reverse Body Hold will help you to develop the required Glutes, Hamstrings and Erector Spinae strength (posterior core strength) for the Planche, just as the Hollow Body Hold will help you to develop the required Hip Flexors, Quadriceps and Abs strength (anterior core strength) for the Front Lever. Makes sense right?

Now come two other great exercises covered in the Side Lever progressions that will help to prepare your posterior core strength adequately for the Reverse Body Hold (they work the exact same muscles in an easier manner):

image.png.2ddaf879972c7020219b188c787e46a9.png

Arch-Up is SL/PE4 and Reverse Leg Lift is SL/PE8.

I strongly believe that the great lack of posterior core strength caused by sitting all day is the main reason why people find the Planche so difficult compared to the Front Lever and progress much slowly at this exercise. Leaning is not enough, you have to be able to hold these legs!

So I will conclude by saying that the Arch-Up, the Reverse Leg Lift and finally the Reverse Body Hold could be your best friends to solve this problem. Personally I have decided to include these exercises in my daily anti-sitting routine.

Once you have mastered both the Planche Lean and the Reverse Body Hold, the most difficult is yet to come, now you have to make the link between the straight arm-strength and the posterior core strength to be able to hold the specific Planche progressions :)

I hope that this article will help you to take your Planche training to the next level.

 

Léo

 

Petri Widsten

I always thought the limiting factor in PL and SL to be straight arm pushing strength/protraction (the lower arm in SL) so serratus anterior strength in particular rather than core strength. How far you can lean/how hard can you push. I think the required level of core strength is relatively much lower.

Léo Aïtoulha
14 hours ago, Petri Widsten said:

 I think the required level of core strength is relatively much lower.

 

I disagree Petri. To draw a parallel, you need as much posterior core strength (erector spinae, glutes, hamstrings) in a Planche as anterior core strength in a Front Lever (abdominals, hip flexors, quadriceps).

My point is that after mastering the Planche Lean, is is also very important to master the Reverse Body Hold before beginning the specific Planche work. Would you begin working on the specific Front Lever progressions before mastering the Hollow Body Hold? It would make absolutely no sense.

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi Leo,

Good observation. I would like to add, that is why it is important not to skip an element. Although at one point, your progress will be slower but you will be more balanced compared to other athletes who will just focus on one, two or three elements. Yes factors like age, background, weight, etc will play a factor. At the end of the day, it will depend on your goal. :)

Petri Widsten
9 hours ago, Léo Aïtoulha said:

 

I disagree Petri. To draw a parallel, you need as much posterior core strength (erector spinae, glutes, hamstrings) in a Planche as anterior core strength in a Front Lever (abdominals, hip flexors, quadriceps).

My point is that after mastering the Planche Lean, is is also very important to master the Reverse Body Hold before beginning the specific Planche work. Would you begin working on the specific Front Lever progressions before mastering the Hollow Body Hold? It would make absolutely no sense.

 

My point was that it is much easier to achieve the level of core strength needed e.g. for a PL than the upper body strength that enables you to lean far enough to hold a PL. I'm not saying you don't need all the strength you describe but I think advancing through Foundation most trainees will have the requisite core strength much before they have the upper body strength.