This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stuck on Elevated bridge

Started by Candice Schwartz, August 29, 2017 · 8 Replies · 226 Views

Candice Schwartz

Hi !

I have been working on the thoracic bridge series but I cannot lift into an elevated bridge position. I am able to lift myself into an ordinary bridge (with feet on the floor) but any elevation on the feet and I feel like I do not have the strength to push up and I struglle with my wrists when my feet are elevated. How do I scale down this exercise to work up to the elevated bridge? 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Candice can you post a video?

One solution for the elevated bridge it is to kick up in a handstand position in front of a stall bar, and while holding the straight arms move far from the stall bar. Also at the end of the hold, you can perform a slow negative so that you can build up some strength easily.

Candice Schwartz

Thank you ! that is great advice :)

Daniel Stassen
On August 29, 2017 at 10:36 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Candice can you post a video?

One solution for the elevated bridge it is to kick up in a handstand position in front of a stall bar, and while holding the straight arms move far from the stall bar. Also at the end of the hold, you can perform a slow negative so that you can build up some strength easily.

Hi Allesandro,

I have the same problem as Candice. 

Would you have a video demonstrating your solution?

much appreciated

Daniel

Alessandro Mainente

Our student here it is showing perfectly how to do the exercise.

 

Daniel Stassen

Great thanks Alessandro

For those without access to stall bars, would you say that doing that with a wall would be safe?

Cheers

Daniel

Everett Carroll

As long as you feel comfortable that you won't slip, go for it. 

Jennifer Marie

Hi Candace, you mentioned struggling with your wrists. I've found the wrist stretches and strengthening exercises in HS1 helped out a lot when used as warmups for bridge work. 

Lucy Criddle

Hi Candace, 

I also have this problem - I push up into the bridge first with feet on floor, then climb up the rungs. At the moment I'm building strength by holding the 60 seconds on the rung, then doing the pushups from the floor. 

My next plan to build strength to next level is use the hip-tap section of the video, to just do negatives from the first rung. Not sure if that helps as it depends on how your flexibility is, plus confidence climbing up the rungs - it feels a bit weird at first. 

I started by not being able to push up AT ALL, so progress does come!