This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

SLS PE3 Ankle Mobility

Started by Antony Stanley-Clarke, August 29, 2017 · 3 Replies · 107 Views

Antony Stanley-Clarke

I've stayed on step 9 of this element for some months now (next week will be 4 months),  in the hope that my ankle flexion would improve to the point where my heels will make contact with the ground at the bottom position. Shall I continue with this element for some months yet, or move on to PE4? I'm aware that over time the front split course is also helping with this mobility. 

Nina Madsen

How far of the ground are your heels? Maybe it is possible with a picture?

PS I'm also interested in the answer, I'm in short supply of getting one of my heels down too

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Antony,

I recommend submitting a video of PE3 for review. Providing us with a visual, especially a video, will help us to give you better feedback and get you moving towards PE4.

Antony Stanley-Clarke

I'll put something up later. In the meantime I can speak with a little more detail and the video will back it up.

My heels can actually reach the ground if I sit back into the squat. Here, most of the weight is going through my heels and I have to shunt my torso, head and arms forward to counter balance. In this position, it feels like I'm restricted by hip mobility, namely insertion around the pubic bone area. Also, as I approach the bottom position I don't feel like my quadriceps are working at all. I think because I'm playing more of a balance game. 

If I evenly distribute my weight across my heel and metatarsals, then my heels are about an inch off the floor. Here my quads feel like they work all the way to the bottom and back. I have been assisting the ankle flexion with a 7kg weight as I seem to remember that being suggested.