Am I moving my legs too much from side to side? Thanks!
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Started by Jin Liu, August 27, 2017 · 9 Replies · 143 Views
Am I moving my legs too much from side to side? Thanks!
Hi Jin,
Yes you are moving your hips side to side too much. To make sure that you minimize this movement, try engaging more and activating your legs. I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes. ![]()
32 minutes ago, Leo Trinidad said:Hi Jin,
Yes you are moving your hips side to side too much. To make sure that you minimize this movement, try engaging more and activating your legs. I hope this helps. Let us know how it goes.
Thanks Leo. In order for the weight shift to be more seamless, should I aim for bring the legs closer to each other, so the mass is closer to the center? And same with hands? Or do i just need to get stronger? Thanks!
Hi Jin,
Legs apart will make your bridge more stable compared to legs together and also same with the arms. This is from my experience. Yes you need to build strength first. Strong glutes will also stabilize it. I hope this helps.
I'm still struggling to keep the same amount of shoulder opening when supported by one hand. I'm fairly decent at pushing my chest out and open the shoulders when supported by two hands. But when it comes to being supported by one hand, I can't seem to push my chest out (see below a pic for comparison). I'm afraid the supporting shoulder isn't strong enough to hold it, and I'll collapse on my face (never happened, but my imagination likes to go there). What type of muscles should I engage or strengthen for this? Or should I just tell my fear to shut up and practice pushing the chest out?
I feel when I'm able to push the chest out on one hand, I can straighten my legs, better engage the glutes, and the movement in the hips will be minimized for sure. Right now my knees and my hips still move side to side quite a bit during the hip tap.
On a side note, I've seen ppl doing one hand bridge push up!! I want that kind of strength!!!
Nice Bridge Jin!
Yeah, pushing the chest out reduce the compensation we feel in the lower back and hips. I don't know if we're supposed to stay straight during the taps, since we have to balance ourselves tough.
Anyway, your traps and rhomboid are the main muscles elevating your shoulders. I would say that handstands shrugs are good preps if your there. Everything elevating your shoulders in fact. But in the end, having the passive flexibility helps a lot to push actively. So, push out, progressively!
10 minutes ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:Nice Bridge Jin!
Yeah, pushing the chest out reduce the compensation we feel in the lower back and hips. I don't know if we're supposed to stay straight during the taps, since we have to balance ourselves tough.
Anyway, your traps and rhomboid are the main muscles elevating your shoulders. I would say that handstands shrugs are good preps if your there. Everything elevating your shoulders in fact. But in the end, having the passive flexibility helps a lot to push actively. So, push out, progressively!
![]()
Thanks Etienne! When I tried to push the chest out on one hand, it was something around the scap that felt unstable. Maybe it is the rhomboid! I'll keep strengthening the traps & rhomboid by doing more HS then.
As for the proper form for the hip tap, I was hoping that we didn't have to keep the legs straight (so I can delude myself to believing my form is quality, lol!). But if you check the course library where they break down each stretch movement, here their specified focus points for hip tap:
Focus Points
1) Press upward as strongly as possible on the supporting arm, before smoothly lifting the other arm
2) Do not bend the legs or lessen your thoracic extension to make the movement easier
so my form is crap..
4 minutes ago, Jin Liu said:Thanks Etienne! When I tried to push the chest out on one hand, it was something around the scap that felt unstable. Maybe it is the rhomboid! I'll keep strengthening the traps & rhomboid by doing more HS then.
As for the proper form for the hip tap, I was hoping that we didn't have to keep the legs straight (so I can delude myself to believing my form is quality, lol!). But if you check the course library where they break down each stretch movement, here their specified focus points for hip tap:
Focus Points
1) Press upward as strongly as possible on the supporting arm, before smoothly lifting the other arm
2) Do not bend the legs or lessen your thoracic extension to make the movement easier
so my form is crap..
![]()
Yeah, we have to keep our body straight while tapping, I just meant that our hips need to move right and left to keep our center point, I think!
Playing with different angles in shoulder flexion/extension will help to stabilize your scap. Move your shoulders in active (controlled) end range.
1 minute ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:Yeah, we have to keep our body straight while tapping, I just meant that our hips need to move right and left to keep our center point, I think!
Playing with different angles in shoulder flexion/extension will help to stabilize your scap. Move your shoulders in active (controlled) end range.
I see. Yea I think the hips will have to move, but shouldn't be too much. Thanks for the tips!
@Jin Liu, I am still doing my elevated bridges with the rubber band, so still not as strong as you or as I need to be… however, my observation with the hip taps (that I can do pretty nicely) is 1) if you put the hand more toward the center — meaning "in between both hands" — then I feel much better stability and can push hard to the ground. 2) If I push with my feet strongly (one little bit more when the arm lifts) to the stall bars, the knees don't need to bend. The side to side shift is not as much, it's more stabilizing with the core. Maybe try that
I can wait for the day when I can dump the rubber band