This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Training Question

Started by Derek Schlieps, August 27, 2017 · 2 Replies · 133 Views

Derek Schlieps

Hi is it really optimal to train only pushups before training dips, and dips before HSPU? I understand the logical progression, but the dip progressions and HSPU progressions are easy enough to start at the same time (on different days) as the PU progressions right? And doesn't it apply to other areas of skill development? Why is it more efficient to only focus on PU first? Would this same way of training be implemented in a competitive boys gymnastics program? I grew up doing gymnastics for 13 years and my training was much different but I was still a nationally competitive gymnast. Trying to understand the reasoning behind the GB structure. Thanks!

Petri Widsten

The coaches will give a better answer but I think one reason is the gradual conditioning of connective tissue and developing the required mobility to enable full rom in future elements. Adults are more fragile than kids and have poorer mobility.

Personally I like to train elements beyond or below my current progressions as long as I don't have a serious mobility deficit re the future element and I'm able to recover well. In HBP, for instance, I train PE15 twice a week together with either PE12 or PE14 during the same session. They all seem to complement each other. 

Everett Carroll

Petri nailed it: 

On 8/26/2017 at 9:34 PM, Petri Widsten said:

the gradual conditioning of connective tissue and developing the required mobility to enable full rom in future elements. Adults are more fragile than kids and have poorer mobility.