This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HBP/PE15 (Box headstand push-up)

Started by Petri Widsten, August 27, 2017 · 18 Replies · 232 Views

Petri Widsten

I'm training this element at 5x3 alongside my F2 pushing to have shoulder-dominant pushing in the mix. How does it look?

 

Tanya Hill

Hi Petri, 

A little tune up and you will have these mastered in no time. 

1. Lock out your legs completely. 

2. From the camera angle it is hard to see if you are keeping your elbows in or letting them go out to the side. 

3. Bring your head forward a bit more so you create a triangle with your hands and your head position. 

 

Petri Widsten

Hello @Tanya Hill

Here's a front view to judge the angle. I'm not sure if this is too wide or not.

Why is it better to put the head forward rather than staying more vertical? Does it somehow better prepare for hespu where you have to form a triangle to keep your balance? Strengthwise more vertical feels harder.

Thanks for the feedback.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Petri, if you look closer to the course video during the movement the forearms are held vertically in respect to the floor. this is possible only if you lean a bit with your head like Tanya correctly suggested before.

Petri Widsten

Ah yes, I saw that @Alessandro Mainente

I assume that triangle shape is important for balance in following progressions.

Thanks!

 

Alessandro Mainente

well for both balance and exercise trajectory.

Petri Widsten
On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 0:10 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

well for both balance and exercise trajectory.

Another go...is this more like it or have I discovered a new way to do them incorrectly? I have to remember to straighten my legs between reps and am not sure my head position is ideal.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey petri, in an ideal execution the shoulders flexion it is achieved in the same moment when the elbows are extended. actually, you are extending the elbows then completing the shoulders flexion.

Petri Widsten
4 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey petri, in an ideal execution the shoulders flexion it is achieved in the same moment when the elbows are extended. actually, you are extending the elbows then completing the shoulders flexion.

But isn't that only possible if you keep your body vertical? Even in the course video the athlete's elbows are extended before the flexion is completed (less noticeable than in my case but it's there). Anyway, I'll try to minimise the timing difference.

Alessandro Mainente

In the course video there maybe 1-2 cm of shoulder flexion. In your case, the execution can be optimized a little bit.

Petri Widsten
29 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

In the course video there maybe 1-2 cm of shoulder flexion. In your case, the execution can be optimized a little bit.


Yes, I agree. Appreciate the feedback, Alessandro.

 

Petri Widsten
On ‎1‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 8:41 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

In the course video there maybe 1-2 cm of shoulder flexion. In your case, the execution can be optimized a little bit.

Is this better regarding the timing?

Also, I was thinking that after mastering this I'd increase the rom gradually by putting my hands on gym mats. What do you think of this idea?

 

Alessandro Mainente

I like it, Petri, well if you master this one you can move forward in the next progression.

Petri Widsten

Cheers Alessandro.

When training negative hespu on the wall, should you train it with your stomach or back towards the wall, and how do you get out of the bottom position if you don't push up? A forward roll?

Jin Liu
2 minutes ago, Petri Widsten said:

Cheers Alessandro.

When training negative hespu on the wall, should you train it with your stomach or back towards the wall, and how do you get out of the bottom position if you don't push up? A forward roll?

A kip like those crossfitters! :)  At least with that you don't have to come down. If you have to come down (from belly towards wall HS), depending on where there's room you can either forward roll down, or a cartwheel down from the side. Coaches will have some better ideas.

Petri Widsten
1 hour ago, Jin Liu said:

A kip like those crossfitters! :)  At least with that you don't have to come down. If you have to come down (from belly towards wall HS), depending on where there's room you can either forward roll down, or a cartwheel down from the side. Coaches will have some better ideas.

Hey Jin, the forward roll seems like the only option as where I normally train I can't cartwheel down and it's really the only place in the gym. I'd do them freestanding if my HS wasn't miles away yet.

Alessandro Mainente

For the strength development now you can focus on back to wall work.

the only variation I suggest to train facing the wall it is the PE17, in this way it is possible to emulate the free handstand position temporary if you have not already mastered it.

Petri Widsten
9 minutes ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

For the strength development now you can focus on back to wall work.

the only variation I suggest to train facing the wall it is the PE17, in this way it is possible to emulate the free handstand position temporary if you have not already mastered it.

OK, Alessandro. I'll see how the back to wall version works once I've progressed to PE16. I'll also train PE15 with extra rom.

Petri Widsten

@Alessandro MainenteI mastered PE15 and set myself the goal to progress from box hespu to box hspu via 3-4 rom levels. This is level 1 - something to fix besides the timing of shoulder flexion and elbow extension in the side view? Haven't tried PE16 yet.