This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Hand Care ... treating and preventing rips

Started by Kevin Easton, August 25, 2017 · 8 Replies · 115 Views

Kevin Easton

I am not sure where the best place is for this thread.

My daughter (7) has been doing alot of bar work and has developed some pretty good rips.

I have read a thread on here that suggests keeping calluses sanded down, soaking in salt water, using medicated chap stick, and using bag balm on the hands.  I have since purchased some bag balm.

1.  While the rips were fresh she was taping her hands for class.  Is this advisable?

2.  The current rips have healed for the most part.  Do you have any suggestions on how to care for her hands while she is not at gym?  Keep applying bag balm?  Any other day-to-day hand care?  Is there anything we can do to help prevent rips?

They are not using grips on the bar yet, just care hands.

Everett Carroll

Hey Kevin,

Keeping them filed down is what has always worked for me but I come from more of a climbing background.

Suzanna McGee
1 hour ago, Everett Carroll said:

Keeping them filed down is what has always worked for me

Everett, what are you using to file them down? Nail files? Pumices?  My calluses are getting quite big and when I do my pole, they start ripping a little sometimes. I may need more regular filing care, I think. Do you file daily? 

Pauline Taube

Suzanna and Kevin. I file them down as Everett as well. I actually use an electric hard skin remover for the feet (from scholl) for my calluses. It's quite time consuming, but I guess it's better when you do it regularly. I tend to wait until it gets pretty bad :) 

Suzanna McGee

Thanks, @Pauline Taube, I will check it out… 

Everett Carroll

@Suzanna McGee A nail file :) 

Suzanna McGee

@Everett Carroll, nice and simple, I will go for that too. Thank you! 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Like others have mentioned. I also keep calluses(compacted/compressed, epidermal, skin layers) minimized with a file some sort.  Sometimes I just peel off a layer of a callus after a shower when the skin is softer.

For those that do not know:
Generally speaking.  The skin has three basic layers "Epidermis," "Dermis," and "Hypodermis."

Technically speaking. The skin is overall seven layers thick and your healthiest layers, the dermis and hypodermis, are underneath your five layered epidermis. The five layers of the epidermis are dead skin cells, that will exfoliate/shed at some point.

Tanya Hill

Thank you for sharing Rayne.