This post applies to more than just the middle splits, but, I was wondering what some folks used as their "metrics" for their progress in any of the stretch series. What type of "measuring stick" is good to use to gauge progress? I'm looking for 1 or 2 things to consistently (and simply) measure. Typically, I'm not a numbers guy, but data is really helpful...
This forum is archived information and is no longer active.
Stretch Metrics
Started by Lorenzo Bohl, August 25, 2017 · 14 Replies · 314 Views
Hey Lorenzo,
Interesting question. On the wall MS hold you could easily measure the distance of foot to floor with a tape measure. For the iso hold, measure the distance between your feet or from waist to floor.
For me, the Butterfly was so SO so bad… My measure is how close the knees go down to the floor and how far forward I can lean.
For most exercises I need to open legs, I try to find a mark somewhere to mesure how far my knees or feet are distancing from each other.
In front split, I try to remember the farthest I went by my leg (keeping APT).
As for the bridge, the only one I see right now is the elevated brige, where you go down on a stall bar keeping perfect form. From there you count the bars.
Take pictures. When you see the improvement, you're already set up to share and brag!!
Joking aside, I did take a "before" picture of my middle split because it had been my bane even when I was dancing in high school, so I know I'll need something that shows little bits of progress along the way. You could set up your photos with a yardstick, or even something that puts changes in perspective. For example, set a barbell or a broom in front of your feet. How wide are you in comparison? Can you get your feet to the ends of the bar/broom/whatever? Past the ends?
For a lot of the stretches, I take mental note of how I'm using the stretch blocks. Turning them down to a lower height, if only for part of the 90 second stretch is a happy sign for me. On the TB series, I've been working my way to actually touching my fingers in the shoulder extension. I've resisted so far, but I could get a ruler and measure how close they get, and once they touch, how low I can sink into that stretch.
My point, don't forget some of the measurable "easier" stretches that you're using to get to the end goal. Mid split, front split, and bridge will take a long time to reach, but the series has some great stretches that can help you gauge success in smaller doses too.
Can you tell I'm an analyst at heart? It's all I can do to fight the urge to create a spreadsheet to analyze my progress! ![]()
I go off of feel more than anything else. Like how much easier it feels to get into position each week or how much looser I feel each week. For front split series hip flexor straight I can sit upright now and hold myself up with my legs alone as I go deeper into that stretch. Before I needed blocks to prop up my torso. It's less effort to get into position now. Notable shift.
These are a lot of great ideas! I was thinking about the idea of progress photos, but how should this type of thing be done? 1x a week? Every 4 weeks? Once every 2 months?
I think I might actually get a ruler out and get some hard data.
Hey Lorenzo,
Since the stretch series progress is generally pretty slow (unless you have a super body!), you could take pictures every month, 2 months or even 3 if you want bigger surprises.
It's your call on that. Do you prefer many follow up pictures, taking them regularly or fewer with bigger gaps between?
2 hours ago, Lorenzo Bohl said:These are a lot of great ideas! I was thinking about the idea of progress photos, but how should this type of thing be done? 1x a week? Every 4 weeks? Once every 2 months?
I think I might actually get a ruler out and get some hard data.
1 to two months seems good , i measure my MS by the number of ground squares that am sliding above
If you're going to do photos I would go for every other week, just to have that relatively frequent record of improvement. I'm assuming motivation is the main purpose so obviously more is better than less.
7 minutes ago, Ronnicky Roy said:I'm assuming motivation is the main purpose so obviously more is better than less.
Well, I would say it depends. Since the progress is pretty slow, more picture could seem a lot slower unlike the 2-3 months gap with more concrete long term improvements.
Possibly, just depends on whether or not he can see the mini/micro improvements each time.
On 8/30/2017 at 6:59 AM, Lorenzo Bohl said:These are a lot of great ideas! I was thinking about the idea of progress photos, but how should this type of thing be done? 1x a week? Every 4 weeks? Once every 2 months?
I think I might actually get a ruler out and get some hard data.
I don't have a set in stone number, but if you're doing the exercises as written, you're only doing each stretch segment once a week. So I'd guess no more than once a month because you don't want to get frustrated with the little steps we can't always see visually.
How about this? Do it the shorter of the two: take a new pic when you feel like you're getting noticeably deeper in a key stretch or every six to eight weeks. The latter, because just because you don't feel like you're improving, if you're sticking to the program and truly pushing yourself to do each movement correctly, you are improving.
On 8/25/2017 at 8:28 AM, Lorenzo Bohl said:This post applies to more than just the middle splits, but, I was wondering what some folks used as their "metrics" for their progress in any of the stretch series. What type of "measuring stick" is good to use to gauge progress? I'm looking for 1 or 2 things to consistently (and simply) measure. Typically, I'm not a numbers guy, but data is really helpful...
Honestly, I found the #1 metric during the first year of stretch series was showing up. Because showing up/getting the work done = consistency. This creates the environment for real change. Regarding objective measurements, (pike for example) one option is to start with belly button and chest pressed firmly into thighs. Then begin measuring the distance your head or nose travels closer to your feet. Of course, this distance decreases as you lengthen and strengthen.![]()
On 01/09/2017 at 4:11 AM, Ryan Bailey said:Honestly, I found the #1 metric during the first year of stretch series was showing up. Because showing up/getting the work done = consistency. This creates the environment for real change.
Love this!
Actually this is what I've been doing - trying not to think too much about incremental results but making sure that I do my best to fit in all the sessions each week and that I'm giving my all in each one. I've not taken numerical metrics, but will plod away then suddenly realise I can do something that I couldn't before - e.g., yesterday I smashed out 10 TB pushups for the first time and have no idea where it came from. Other times I feel like I'm going weeks with no progress (e.g., ankle mobility). I figured that there isn't much I can do other than keep working at it and if I do feel a bit frustrated, add in a few smaller reps in between the full series sessions.