Fingers In Gymnastics

Started by jamesters, March 14, 2010 · 4 Replies · 5,471 Views

jamesters

Ideally, what are the fingers to be in gymnastics, is it simply middle finger and thumb tucked in? Also, what's a good way to teach it to kids, I've heard some people say "pretend you're holding a marshmallow" but I think there must be a better way for kids to understand it than that.

Razz

What do you mean by this question? Fingers in which situation?

Blairbob

Generally, we want extended fingers together. I should go dig out my men's presentation video but I don't remember thumb tucked in or not.

jamesters

Oh, I guess because I work with mostly girls. Boys do different right? Well I'm curious anyway of how girls are supposed to do it. Geez, I can't find a good picture, but basically like this

figersdsgzs.jpg

I guess I'm just wondering proper position, because ballet teaches something very specific for fingers, so for gymnastics girls is it just middle finger and thumb tucked in? Also, when is finger position used, basically just with certain poses such as arabesque? Sorry if I'm sounding obsessive-compulsive, I just like to understand the details of things.

Blairbob

Poses such as balance elements, beginning of tumbling passes and corner transitions and vault.