This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elevated bridge form check

Started by Jin Liu, August 23, 2017 · 12 Replies · 190 Views

Jin Liu

How does this look? Do my hands need to be closer to the stall bar?

Also, does it matter whether the legs are straight or not? At my current ability, if my hands are closer to the stall bar, my legs will bend. I feel more stable with legs straight and locked. I also feel more stretch in the chest when pushing my legs all the way out.

Thanks for your feedback :)

 

Leo Trinidad

Hi @Jin Liu,

Yes it needs to be locked and straight. I also would like to suggest that you look down and if you can, put your feet together.

Jin Liu
17 minutes ago, Leo Trinidad said:

Hi @Jin Liu,

Yes it needs to be locked and straight. I also would like to suggest that you look down and if you can, put your feet together.

Thanks Leo! I'll always do it with legs straight then. And I assume the hands will move closer to the stall bar as my mobility improves? 

Mats Trane

And always focus on squeezeing your glutes and shoulder blades together

Tanya Hill

Looking good Jin Liu! 

Jin Liu

Can I graduate to a lower rung now? :P

I do feel more intense stretch, and I can't hold as long comfortably. But Can I start on practicing with feet on the lower rung now, or should I spend more time on the current form (top)? Thanks!

 

B3BE2DC4-E63C-49D8-BC17-7E486228B11F.jpg

Mikey Cunanan

Excellent job Jin Liu!

If you are still experiencing an intense stretch at your current food height. I would recommend staying at this level until you can hold with relative ease. This will help you tolerate the increase in intensity when you walk down a rung.

An intermediary step I like to use when attempting to lower the legs is to take one leg and place it on the lower step, then bring it back up. Alternate legs for a predetermined rep range or duration of time.

Over time you will be able to step lower without compromising your spine.

It can never hurt to experiment, but the greatest gains are made when you can make it feel effortless.

 

Jin Liu
45 minutes ago, Mikey Cunanan said:

Excellent job Jin Liu!

If you are still experiencing an intense stretch at your current food height. I would recommend staying at this level until you can hold with relative ease. This will help you tolerate the increase in intensity when you walk down a rung.

An intermediary step I like to use when attempting to lower the legs is to take one leg and place it on the lower step, then bring it back up. Alternate legs for a predetermined rep range or duration of time.

Over time you will be able to step lower without compromising your spine.

It can never hurt to experiment, but the greatest gains are made when you can make it feel effortless.

 

Thanks Mikey! I'll try the intermediate step you mentioned. I can hold the current form with relative ease after some warmup. But I def feel the intensity when feet moved lower. So some sort of transition will help :)

Jennifer Marie

Looking good Jin Liu!

Those purple and yellow shorts in your first shot, where'd you get them? I must have a pair! :)

Jin Liu
15 minutes ago, Jennifer Marie said:

Looking good Jin Liu!

Those purple and yellow shorts in your first shot, where'd you get them? I must have a pair! :)

Thanks for liking my shorts! :D  Those are the nike compression shorts from at least a year ago (maybe two). Not sure if they still carry this color. There's a lack of pretty & wild colors lately :( 

Alessandro Mainente

We can say that, if you put the feet in the correct starting position when the legs are completely extended, your chest should be definitely past the wrists. If this does not happen then the starting position has the hips too far from the small bar.

Jin Liu
On 10/3/2017 at 4:49 PM, Alessandro Mainente said:

We can say that, if you put the feet in the correct starting position when the legs are completely extended, your chest should be definitely past the wrists. If this does not happen then the starting position has the hips too far from the small bar.

@Alessandro Mainente I see what you are saying. I feel a big difference in the chest & shoulders between the top and bottom positions in the picture, and I should spend more time somewhere between the top and bottom positions.

Just to clarify the chest passing wrists reference. I drew a line to see where my chest is relative to the wrists in the bottom position. Would you say the chest is past the wrists? Since I don't feel nearly as comfortable in the bottom position as in the top, I realize that in the top position, not just my chest, half of my shoulder blades are also past my wrists. This makes me wonder. In the ideal case, should the point of reference be the back (or the back of the neck), instead of the chest, passing the wrists?

 

Picture1.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

YOu need to feel the sensation where all the weight it is over the palms and not in other places.