This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Stalled on front lever hollow rocks

Started by Kevin Conley, August 23, 2017 · 6 Replies · 201 Views

Kevin Conley

I am nearly on foundation 3 for all my exs, except front lever where i am on straddle body rocks; i cannot get beyond 48x2 or 60x1 or 36x5. I have tried every variation for months, had gymnasts tell me my form is fine. My core just tires and my other muscles start to take over. I am pretty much ready to just skip to full body rocks and get to 4x36 or 1x60 or 3x48 as i will likely stall there too and move on. I am getting so close to front lever variations of rope climb and no where to go...

 

any suggestions??

 

 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Especially since you say you are on SPL/SE3. Just keep at it.

To complete a majority of gymnastic strength positions, the needed amount of overall core strength is high. If you think your core strong enough, it is not. 

Petra Dvorak

did you ever post form checks?

Antonio Alías Montoya
2 hours ago, Petra Dvorak said:

did you ever post form checks?

I ask this myself thousand of times reading the forum!

Douglas Wadle

With these, I think more than with any other exercise, it is about focus and mental toughness.  You just need to MAKE yourself get through it.  You can do more than you think you can.  When you get tired and it is burning, keep going!  Also, add in more sets at the end to build volume.  If you do 5 x 48 seconds, then do a couple more sets of 30 seconds after you're done.  You'll get there, I have no doubt.

Jennifer Marie
5 hours ago, Rayne-William Fitzgerald said:

 If you think your core strong enough, it is not. 

So true!! My core has become so much stronger, yet when I chat with my coach who is also a physical therapist, he insisted on more oblique work. They (the obliques) weren't keeping up with the rest of the muscles. Your abs may be stronger than ever, but you're also demanding more from them the further along the progressions you go.

Have you tried adding in some hollow straddle holds? When I got stuck on the bent hollow rock, I added in 2-3 sets of 60 sec of bent hollow holds three times a week. It did help (and it makes the PTs happy ;)).

Good luck with it!

Everett Carroll
7 hours ago, Petra Dvorak said:

did you ever post form checks?

Thanks, Petra. Please send in some form checks @Kevin Conley  :) Start by sending in your FL/PE1 and FL/PE1>iM form and we'll go from there.