This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Thoracic Stretch Series Regressions

Started by James Easton, August 22, 2017 · 3 Replies · 132 Views

James Easton

Please help me! 

My boyfriend and I first tried the thoracic bridge stretch series at some point last year and I think we were pretty disheartened by our lack of equipment (stall bars seem almost essential here, it’s really hard to scale the exercises without them) and how much we struggled with the movements. Anyway, I’ve decided recently to start up with it again on my own, because I think my poor thoracic mobility is really limiting me, and I’m getting some neck/shoulder pain. 

I’ve done some looking around the forums and the site, but can’t seem to see much information about scaling options: put bluntly, I can’t do these exercises as programmed. I’m just not strong enough, especially without the stall bars that would allow me to gradually move into position. So I need some help figuring out how best to regress the bridge pushups, the hip taps and the bridge wall walks (again, I don’t know how you’d do these last exercises without stall bars). I can manage to get into the bridge and do pretty shallow pushups, and maybe 2 hip taps before I collapse, but can’t really do the wall walks at all. It’s really discouraging struggling so much, especially because I’ve seen such great progress in the mid split stretch series!

Any help would be greatly appreciated. 
Cheers,
Ana

Tanya Hill

Hi Ana, 

Thank you for reaching out. I am happy to provide you with some personal options I have used when I lacked the equipment. One huge benefit for you is having a partner help you and assist you into the stretches. 

First thing is work the bridge course to your best ability. If you are unable to complete the full course thats ok. 

For the elevated bridge prop your feet up on the couch, a low chair, maybe even the end of the bed and then press up. This is where a partners help comes in handy. If you have a hard time pressing up on your own have your partner assist you in gently lifting you up into position. 

Sounds like you are able to press up though and thats great. To work the bridge push ups you can even stack some books up to elevate your feet. The reasoning for elevated feet is to take the pressure out of your low back and open up the shoulders. I would cut down the total number of reps (pushups and hip taps) to a comfortable number that you don't collapse and can come down gracefully. 

The wall walks can be done on a regular wall. This will require a bit more awareness as you don't have anything to grip, just make sure you push firmly into the wall. Have a friend close by to have their hands under your back as you walk down just for safety. 

Creativity with GST makes it that much more fun! ;)

Hope this is helpful Ana. Send in some videos of your progress. 

 

 

James Easton

Thank you so much for your expert advice Tanya! All of that makes perfect sense to me, and I'm glad I checked :) Despite the challenge (I have a sneaky feeling that my back is like a big block of wood), I'm really excited to make progress in this!

Thank you again for your help :) 

Ana

Jennifer Marie

Welcome back to it Ana, and good luck with your scaling options. I've used the sofa and a really heavy coffee table when I can't make it to the gym to use the stall bars. I get funny looks from my spouse, but otherwise I enjoy the stretch.