This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Difference between Headstand/Handstand practice and training

Started by Ryan Segervall, August 22, 2017 · 5 Replies · 208 Views

Ryan Segervall

I have a question on how people fit it extra practice with their hand balancing on other days throughout the week that arent scheduled h1 days. I know for me two days a week almost doesnt seem like enough time to get enough practice in to really improve on the balance aspect. 

 

my guess is to treat this like a grease the groove with a couple sets of easier progressions or staying below max hold times by 40-60%. But thought I would see what other people are doing to get that much needed extra practice to help nail in body lines and balance. 

Alessandro Mainente

IN the case of technical skill the nest idea it is to insert another session (from 2 to 3 session) for a fixed period of time before trying to add additional days. generally my approach it is to fix a number of seconds for example 120'' total seconds and try to complete them in a few sets as possible. in the case of handstand i begin the session with a 120'' set or sometimes 90'' plus an additional 30'' set.

Suzanna McGee

@Ryan Segervall, I will write what I have been doing, but as you know, I am a beginner-handstander, so this is not an advice :-) 

I started the Handstand course last August (happy 1-year anniversary to me) and I was horribly scared being upside down. That's why I decide it's finally time to overcome it and learn it. I was doing the twice a week programming until December. I was doing a few headstands on the side of it (maybe 2-5 of them), on those other days. I didn't go for any specific time, jus for the perfect line and getting the feeling of being comfortable inverted. 

Then I did the Gymnastic Bodies Facebook Handstand Challenge, I think it was January. We got a home work every day. And I did it. Some things were so scary to me… when I was done with the challenge, and read somewhere online that you have to spend time inverted if you want to feel comfortable inverted. So i decided to keep going and do 5 handstands every day. Again, no special length of time, just the best possible try I can do. I occasionally did the different kinds of exercises from that GB Handstand challenge… if I felt that my shoulders were tired (from my pole practice), I did headstands instead. Maybe trying to press into it, and the negatives down (hoping it will help in the future with the handstands)…  Just spending time inverted. It's been working fine for me, it doesn't take much time. Sometimes I do the handstands between the sets of my training. I for sure feel more comfortable inverted, stronger as well. The fear of kicking into it is still there though. I would rather press into it (which, obviously, I still cannot do) than kick into it. So most of the time,  I just climb myself up the wall into it and just holding the perfect line… (well, searching and feeling the line) 

Ryan Segervall

@Suzanna McGee @Alessandro Mainente

Thanks for the feed back! It appears that fitting in some focused effort throughout the week is a good way to accumulate volume outside of the dedicated H1 days.

 example: taking a 15 minute break from work and getting some practice in, aiming for 2-4min total volume as Alessandro recommended. Would this be an appropriate way of going about it, provided I spend 5 minutes out of the 15 warming up my wrists? 

Alessandro Mainente

It depends if you can do it. grease to the groove at this stage could mean forearms overtraining. An additional day of HS practice it is better.

Ryan Segervall
On 8/23/2017 at 5:58 AM, Alessandro Mainente said:

It depends if you can do it. grease to the groove at this stage could mean forearms overtraining. An additional day of HS practice it is better.

ok, good to know. may just stay patient with this one and stick with the two days a week to try and not over do it given I have also added climbing into my weekly schedule and have a history of medial elbow tendinitis. 

 

thank you for your feedback