This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

General Programming questions

Started by Paul SONNEVILLE, August 19, 2017 · 1 Replies · 208 Views

Paul SONNEVILLE

I'm curious to know how everyone is doing ?

My personal one goes like this : Monday core, Tuesday upper body, Wednesday HS & thoracic Bridge, Thursday middle split, Friday Legs and front splits, Saturday Movement.

In addition I am doing each of those two days later  to add volume, so legs again on Monday (often with an easier variation and lots of volume, kinda endurance training),  core again on Thursday (with same emphasis on endurance), Upper Body again on Friday (endurance and slow reps mostly), and I add some HS stuff to my movement on Saturday and some things I want to play with (movements from Ido Portal and stuff like that), just getting various mobility drills from easier variations on Sunday and stretching as I feel like, doing some roller stuff and etc, staying at a perceived low intensity since it's my main "rest day" of the week.

I feel like starting with core is really important, since it's what's connect us in the most literal way (even though I suck at it and hate it and seriously question myself as to the necessity of it? would be doing standing ab roller only if t'was me :P , hollow holds I dislike with a passion, ab roller work core / scapular connection / hips all in the single move!! why hollow holds coach, why!! :/ ). Doing upper body on Tuesday because I like it and I want to do it early in the week, just can't wait!!

Friday is legs 'cause I tend to indulge food wise on Fridays entering the week-end and adding upper body to my legs makes for the most heavy training day (I do much less intensive legs on Monday) so it evens out more or less (I also add endurance work after strength work for legs on Friday since they're my strong point and I like "abusing" them, not to the point where I can't walk though), movement being fairly intensive as well on Saturday all the extra carbs is not burn-wasted that way.


My programming is mainly built around getting better strength and mobility-wise for martial arts (lots of things I do outside this) which is why it doesn't necessarly follow instructions from coach although I tried to keep the key pairing (HS / bridge, Legs / split, movement on saturdays), one thing I am wondering though is why upper body and HS are advised to be back to back? If it were me I would probably do (in fact I did before) HS on Thursday since upper body on Tuesday is triceps intensive and I would like to get at least one day's rest between upper body and HS 'cause triceps are pretty weak and do get a beating on both upper and HS (then one day again before movement on Saturday even though it's not THAT triceps intensive).

Here it is, was not sure where to post that, hope it's not in the way here. Ob

Benjamin Nutt

I work in order of what my priorities and weaknesses are.

Monday: Core and Middle splits (greatest applicability to all courses)

Tuesday: Upper Body (weakest course/hardest to progress on)

Wednesday: Handstand (favorite courses)

Thursday: Legs and Front Split (legs are easiest for me, and Front Split is a sensible pairing)

Friday: Deadlift and Movement

Saturday or Sunday: Handstand (same sets and reps as Wednesday. Twice weekly HS = good stuff) and T-Bridge.

This way, I knock out each course once a week. Sometines mobility days vary, and sometimes I only get one HS sesh, but this is the schedule I've settled on after a long time of trial and error!