This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Sideways rolls / Backward rolls

Started by Paul SONNEVILLE, August 19, 2017 · 2 Replies · 66 Views

Paul SONNEVILLE

Quick question here, on sideways hollow rolls, since I didn't find anything on it!

I'm "injuring" myself on the right shoulder with this move for some reason (I do have a past of injuries with this shoulder), either because I slip or because I do awkward stuff while rolling on hard, slippery, extremly uncomfortable floor (tiles) since I don't have access to much better. Anyone encountered this problem and might have advices on it?

The so called "injury" hurts but settles fully within a week, I believe it has to do with my rotator cuffs since that's what was injured before anyway, so forcing on my right arm when rolling from right to left and forcing on my right arm, having my right hand kinda slip awkwardly is what's giving me hell I would guess (would love to post footage but I can't record myself unfortunately). Is this indeed because of the crappy floor or could the problem lie with my shoulder directly, or be a combination of the two, should I avoid that for now or anyone can think of a way to fix it? Movement is my favorite progression And I'm super bummed I can't really enjoy it ATM :/

On backward rolls, just smashing the back of my head on the floor and here again it feels like it's because I slip backward (so can't really use the momentum I see in the demonstration video to get my back up before head meets tiles), I would use the patch of "grass" in the garden or around here but yeah, it's filled with spikey plants and I end up looking like a porcupine after every rolls :facepalm: (I'm just wondering if I'm too weak overall or if the matter is the floor indeed, I thought praticing on hard floor wouldn't be a problem tbh).

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Paul,

I recommend practicing on a softer surface. I'm sure that a little extra padding will make a world of difference. Several students prefer to do their tumbling exercises on yoga mats, or on small gymnastics mats that can be purchased online. If your shoulder continues to bother you, I recommend seeing a physio about the issue so that he can help you start on the road to recovery.

On your backward rolls, make sure that your hands and up by your ears so that you can push against the ground as you roll. Pressing on the ground with the hands will help you to protect your head and neck.

Paul SONNEVILLE

I'll invest on some yoga mats or something similar I guess, the "fear" of the hard surface does make me do weird things because of the apprehension so.. .

About physios and stuff, I've seen a bunch of physios and osteopaths and they pop my shoulders / necks and that's it, "there isn't really something wrong" is most common answer, best improvement I've made in years was through Foundation with hinge rows and HS work, if my problem persist I'll just keep working on it, it's nagging but recovering fast so I might just hold off this until my shoulders are stronger (I have a hard time pushing the floor on backrolls too which make me think they're perhaps not resilient enough yet). Thanks!