Pike Press Handstand opinions

Started by JoeSimo, April 24, 2008 · 2 Replies · 3,301 Views

JoeSimo

Hey all,

This is my first post here and I must say I am LOVING this site. One of the best training resources around, period. In my opinion. I am just hoping to get some feedback and opinions on my pike press to handstand. AM I doing it in correct form? Can anything be improved on? and so forth.

Thanks again

Joe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbBNy8DzeZ8

Coach Sommer

Joe,

Congratulations, that is actually a fairly good standing pike press. Your shoulder lean forward could ideally be reduced (for perfection strive to keep the shoulders directly above the hands) and the lower back has a slight arch at the end that should be eliminated, but overall very good :D.

I would next recommend that you perform them on either parallets or up on blocks. Still perform the standing press as you are now (simply stand on the parallets or blocks to begin), however during the descent now attempt as slowly as possible to lower into an L-sit. During the descent focus on fighting to keep the shoulders over the hands and keep the knees pulled strongly into the chest. This will help to develop the strength necessary for a full pike press from an L-sit later.

You could also do reps for partial range of motion to build a full press from an L-sit. To perform these, only lower as far into the descent as you can press back out of with good form and locked arms. As has been previously noted, 3-5 reps here would be ideal.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

P.S. Are there many other climbers that prefer Gymnastic Strength Training™?

JoeSimo

Thanks for the reply coach. I've actually practice the way you said, on paralletes and blocks, I usually press to handstand then back through. I can v-sit press to handstand but only if I am 2-3 inches off the ground. I need to get my compression up to have it on the floor. This was just the only video i had at the moment.

And no not many climbers condition with gymnastics. But then I only climb for fun I'm mainly a martial artist/acrobat/gymnast. But not many wushu athletes condition period it seems let alone with gymnastics. Which is probably why they are all injured.

Thanks again

Joe