This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Potatoes, White rice, squash - question about quantities

Started by Alessandro Di Sanzo, August 15, 2017 · 5 Replies · 132 Views

Alessandro Di Sanzo

Hello Guys!

My main sources of starches are Basically White potatoes, sweet potatoes, white rice and squash . Just by curiosity I realized  that in order to apply the portion sizes required,  calories coming from squash (I made Always a squash soup) are much lower than the ones from potatoes and white rice, Is It right?

Actually I can say I feel satisfied  when I have squash soup, even though I feel "more full" when I have rice or potatoes.

Let's say I Basically have raw 120 gr of White rice, 350 gr of potatoes, or 400-500 gr of squash. Are these quantities enough for each of the sources I mentioned? Should I fix something?

Thank you very much! 

Alessandro

Jeff Serven

Yes, thats right. Most people don't eat a whole lot of calories of acorn squash. Its very difficult to eat that size of acorn squash on a regular basis. To be quite honest; I was counting on the fact people would eat acorn squash so infrequently this would not be an issue. Once we are up here in level 18 we can split a few more hairs. Squash is pretty much an all you can eat thing because thats what it would take to match the potato or rice. 

I like to new picture! 

Alessandro Di Sanzo
16 minutes ago, Jeff Serven said:

Yes, thats right. Most people don't eat a whole lot of calories of acorn squash. Its very difficult to eat that size of acorn squash on a regular basis. To be quite honest; I was counting on the fact people would eat acorn squash so infrequently this would not be an issue. Once we are up here in level 18 we can split a few more hairs. Squash is pretty much an all you can eat thing because thats what it would take to match the potato or rice. 

I like to new picture! 

I see! Thanks to this course I discovered the taste of squash, I love it! 

Glad you like my pic, Jeff! :D

 

Alessandro Di Sanzo
On 8/18/2017 at 9:32 PM, Jeff Serven said:

Yes, thats right. Most people don't eat a whole lot of calories of acorn squash. Its very difficult to eat that size of acorn squash on a regular basis. To be quite honest; I was counting on the fact people would eat acorn squash so infrequently this would not be an issue. Once we are up here in level 18 we can split a few more hairs. Squash is pretty much an all you can eat thing because thats what it would take to match the potato or rice. 

I like to new picture! 

@Jeff Serven, looking at your comment, I thought about frenquencies of the starch sources I use to eat in the week. 

Basically it is as follows:

-  4/5 times squash

- 3-5 white rice

- 3 times white potatoes (once a week the purple variety)

- 2 times sweet potatoes.

So I've realized I've been eating acorn squash on a frequent regular basis. Looking at our comment (Its very difficult to eat that size of acorn squash on a regular basis), I've just tried to increase the amount of size (about 600 gr), but I wonder if I also need to lower a bit the frequencies of this starch source in favour of potatoes/rice. Consider that I've been training GST very frequently (6 times a week between Foundation - Handstand - Stretch Series), and Sometimes it occurs that at the end of workout I feel completely empty of energy, so I'm asking myself if I need to increase a bit the overall starch amount...

What are your thoughts?

Thank you!

Alessandro

Jeff Serven

To go with the other post about protein; yea I think you should up carbs and maybe a touch of fat as well. 

Alessandro Di Sanzo
16 hours ago, Jeff Serven said:

To go with the other post about protein; yea I think you should up carbs and maybe a touch of fat as well. 

Thank you @Jeff Serven, I'm going to follow your tips! Let's see what happens, I'm curious!