This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Resting & repetitive movements

Started by Katherine Zodiaco, August 15, 2017 · 1 Replies · 97 Views

Katherine Zodiaco

Hello,

I've been slowly (ever so slowly) re-engineering my body with these programs and I am in love. I could tell you all the reasons why, but I'm guessing you all already know them since you're here too.

I'm wondering:

  • What are your thoughts and experiences with the repetitive nature of the strength and stretch series? Sometimes I feel like performing the exact same exercises week after week isn't the best thing for my body.  I've recently begun to add Pilates reformer classes into my days off and one day of pole. 
  • Do you ever take time off from your gymnastics programming? If so, what does that look like?  I've got a minor strain in my left calf that isn't moving, a weird strain in my right mid back that isn't healing, and minor wrist pain, and those deep hamstring / glute attachements are tweeky too so I've decided to take the week off from my GST program. So my brain is freaking out (naturally). 
  • And, finally, have you found a progression that you aren't able to pass? What do you do? Do we just stay there forever? I've been trying to complete 4 sets of 12 scap contractions for a year now. Totally impossible. :(

Thank you for your thoughts,

Kathy

 

Everett Carroll

Hey Kathy,

The repetition is a necessary part of the programming. The goal is to master the stretching positions, mobility drills, and strength exercises. Not simply touch on them and move on. Each step is designed to over-prepare you for the next. 

I take time off from training a couple of times every year, whether it be to heal from an injury, rest my mind from the rigors of training, or let the body heal. Rest is important. 

When you struggle with a progression for as long as you have with scapular shrugs (been there, trust me) a week off is a great idea. Rest your mind, rest your body, and drop down a few steps in difficulty upon your return. I also suggest filming your whole upper body workout when you get back in action and sending a form check in. In some cases, doing more can help you bust the plateau, and in others, doing less is key. Let's see if this rest helps and reassess after you're back to training.