Circle Progress

Started by phken4343, March 13, 2010 · 15 Replies · 3,442 Views

phken4343

I started gymnastics last year as a sophmore and I practiced circles on mushroom every time. Now, I'm a junior and I am starting to train circles on the horse. My circles suck, but some feedback would be appreciated.

I already know that my arms are bent, but I don't get why it happens.

j15oUY3LYmU

Blairbob

Hmm, to start off I would prefer you do the feint much like a straddle-L. Start your legs as high as possible. If that's as high as you can lift them, well, ok.

Next point, from the feint, swing the leg behind you like a planche versus letting it drop.

How is your basic horse pendulum swing work (basic swings in straddle, stride, back support, [false]scissors)?

phken4343

My basic pendulum swings are very good. Thanks for the advice. I'll post an another video with the tips you mentioned.

phken4343

Well, I took your advice, and I almost did 2 circles today! Also, my friends told me the form was better!

phken4343

I did 2 circles 2 times in a row today! :P....then I couldn't do it anymore.. :/

Blairbob

cool.

deljosque

what do you think is the best way to develop on pommelhorse?

one of our 9 year old can preform magyar shivado on a horse without pommels is this very good or is this normal for kids this age.

greetz deljosque

deljosque

start over.

keep your shoulders leveled, stay arched, kick sideways PRACTICE ON A MUSHROOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

phken4343

You really aren't supposed to arch your back in a circle...

Also, I have good mushroom circles and the video is outdated. I have better circles, but I have some issues to fix.

deljosque

yes i promise arch during all the circle, watch the chinese and croatian men

phken4343

I'll get a video of my current circles soon.

Blairbob

In the rear phase of the circle you want to pass through a seal/cobra position with straight arms. If you're hollow or piked in the rear phase, you will be even more so in the front phase.

deljosque

yes that's tru arched hips

phken4343

Well, here's a video I took today. It's getting better.

PHyu1oRWDUs

Blairbob

The connection is starting to look a lot better. The form needs some work.

I recommend working floor circles on a mushroom on floor (with socks) to get the extension. If you have a spare pommel buck (without pommels and a support base), you can put it on floor and work loops and circles there. You can throw a sting mat over the top if it kills the wrist too much or you can use pommels.

phken4343

I'm current working circles on the buck,although it'd kinda awkward to jump and do loop circles on a buck.