This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wall Walk Milestone!

Started by Benjamin Nutt, August 14, 2017 · 3 Replies · 155 Views

Benjamin Nutt

Hope this thread is appropriate, I just wanted to share an awesome moment I had during training last night: I was able to complete a wall walk all the way down to the ground and pop into a (shitty) bridge when I got there!

Backstory: I threw my back out several years ago when squatting with improper form. All of the musculature in my lower back seized, and I was unable to move or even walk. The doctor told me "nothing was wrong," but I'm sure I must have slipped a disc or something, because I've had a tight, painful, completely immobile lower back ever since.

Since then, bridging has been impossible for me. I used to have a full bridge, no problem, but since my accident my spinal flexibility has been shit, and I've lived with daily pain. I started doing the GB courses a few years back, but was never consistent with doing my Stretch courses weekly as one should. I was never consistent or honest with any of it, up until 2017. This year, I resolved to do each Stretch course once per week, slowly, consistently, and honestly. While I've missed a week or two due to travel, I've hit that resolution for about 95% of the year. 

The T-Bridge series has been extremely challenging and rewarding for me. I've taken it slow, and have progressed to the point where I can do walk walk negatives (walking down the wall, but not back up). I used to just fall out of the bottom of the position when I hit the ground, but last night, I was able to put my hands flat on the floor and push my body up into a full bridge!

Was it the worst bridge you've ever seen? Oh, absolutely. But the point is, I never would have been able to achieve even that crummy position in January of this year. Furthermore, after training the T-Bridge series once weekly, the pain I used to experience in my lower back is largely gone. I still get it under certain circumstances, like when I have to wear work boots, but overall, that pain is gone.

My point is that you gotta look out for those small markers of success, not just those big "perfect" moments. I've been slow, dedicated, patient, and consistent with my training, and I'm starting to see it pay off.

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Congratulations, Benjamin! Thank you for sharing your success with us. Truly an inspiring story!

Darren Rea

Thanks for sharing... It's inspiring to know someone else with the same chronic injuries can progress.

Chris Umiastowski

This is fantastic, and proves the importance of consistency.  I had the same kind of result after a YEAR of doing the TB series. I couldn't do hip taps, and I couldn't hold the elevated bridge for anywhere close to 60 seconds, and my form was also shit.  Now it feels like I've made miraculous progress, although in reality it was just slow, consistent progress.Congrats on your results man !!