This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Movement Series Programming

Started by Andrew Schwartz, August 13, 2017 · 15 Replies · 383 Views

Andrew Schwartz

Coaches,

I want to precede this post saying I have read the introduction that Coach Sommer wrote (many times), I have read through posts on this forum on the topic, and tried implementing the programming I believed was in line with Coach Sommer's recommendations. After all of this, I keep coming back to this. I want to apologize preemptly if this is ridiculous to anyone who is frustrated with people like me who are not quite getting it, but my hope is to aid in making it clear. So here is my attempt at making a clear and concise representation of what I understand to be in line with Coach's recommendations:

Movement Series:

  • Quadrupedal Warm Up
    • perform T1/1.1-1.6 to assess movements and positions that need addressing
    • can be the only content of the workout at first and then can be used as a warm up for the next training blocks
  • Beginner Training Block 
    • perform Quadruped Warm Up (optional)
    • perform T1/2.1, T1/3.1, T1/4.1 in circuits
    • Mastery Example:
      • 2.1 for 5 reps
      • 3.1 for 5 reps
      • 4.1 for 5 reps
      • perform this circuit for 5 rounds (sets)
    • progress to T1/2.2, T1/3.2, T1/4.2 once the above is mastered
    • finish Beginner Training Block by mastering T1/2.6, T1/3.6, T1/4.6
  • Intermediate Training Block 
    • perform Quadruped Warm Up (optional)
    • perform T1/5.1, T1/6.1, in circuits
    • Mastery Example:
      • 5.1 for 5 reps
      • 6.1 for 5 reps
      • perform this circuit for 5 rounds (sets)
    • progress to T1/5.2, T1/6.2, once the above is mastered
    • finish Intermediate Training Block by mastering T1/5.6, T1/6.6
  • Advanced Training Block 
    • perform Quadruped Warm Up (optional)
    • perform T1/7.1 and add T1/8.1 when advanced enough (maybe once T1/7.4 I started)
    • Mastery Example:
      • 7.1 for 5 reps
      • 8.1 for 5 reps
      • perform this circuit for 5 rounds (sets)
    • progress to T1/7.2, T1/8.2, once the above is mastered
    • finish Advanced Training Block by mastering T1/7.6, T1/8.3
  • Series Training Block 
    • perform Quadruped Warm Up (optional)
    • perform T1/9.1
    • Mastery Example:
      • 9.1 for 5 reps
      • perform this circuit for 5 rounds (sets)
    • progress to T1/9.2 once the above is mastered
    • finish Series Training Block by mastering T1/9.6

P.S.

I empathize with trying to get concepts through to people and being frustrated with a disconnect. I deal with it in my line of work everyday. Coach Sommer's common response of simply repeating (or copying and pasting) the instructions he spent time and effort to construct and publish is something I often do. It may seem abrasive to some, but it really is a way of reminding people that the time and effort was spent to instruct, so reviewing and trying hard to understand and implement it is optimal over asking for things that have already been given.

 

Ima Staihid

This is very helpful.

Philip Windsor

Looking at this i may be doing it wrong as im doing for example 2.1 for 5, having a little rest then doing the next set of 2.1. Continuing that until I've finished and then moving on to the next movement.

So will be interesting to see the response.  

Might try the variation here to see the difference :)

Antonio Alías Montoya
On 13/8/2017 at 9:20 PM, Andrew Schwartz said:

Coaches,

I want to precede this post saying I have read the introduction that Coach Sommer wrote (many times), I have read through posts on this forum on the topic, and tried implementing the programming I believed was in line with Coach Sommer's recommendations. After all of this, I keep coming back to this. I want to apologize preemptly if this is ridiculous to anyone who is frustrated with people like me who are not quite getting it, but my hope is to aid in making it clear. So here is my attempt at making a clear and concise representation of what I understand to be in line with Coach's recommendations:

Movement Series:

  • Quadrupedal Warm Up
    • perform T1/1.1-1.6 to assess movements and positions that need addressing
    • can be the only content of the workout at first and then can be used as a warm up for the next training blocks
  • Beginner Training Block 
    • perform Quadruped Warm Up (optional)
    • perform T1/2.1, T1/3.1, T1/4.1 in circuits
    • Mastery Example:
      • 2.1 for 5 reps
      • 3.1 for 5 reps
      • 4.1 for 5 reps
      • perform this circuit for 5 rounds (sets)
    • progress to T1/2.2, T1/3.2, T1/4.2 once the above is mastered
    • finish Beginner Training Block by mastering T1/2.6, T1/3.6, T1/4.6
  • Intermediate Training Block 
    • perform Quadruped Warm Up (optional)
    • perform T1/5.1, T1/6.1, in circuits
    • Mastery Example:
      • 5.1 for 5 reps
      • 6.1 for 5 reps
      • perform this circuit for 5 rounds (sets)
    • progress to T1/5.2, T1/6.2, once the above is mastered
    • finish Intermediate Training Block by mastering T1/5.6, T1/6.6
  • Advanced Training Block 
    • perform Quadruped Warm Up (optional)
    • perform T1/7.1 and add T1/8.1 when advanced enough (maybe once T1/7.4 I started)
    • Mastery Example:
      • 7.1 for 5 reps
      • 8.1 for 5 reps
      • perform this circuit for 5 rounds (sets)
    • progress to T1/7.2, T1/8.2, once the above is mastered
    • finish Advanced Training Block by mastering T1/7.6, T1/8.3
  • Series Training Block 
    • perform Quadruped Warm Up (optional)
    • perform T1/9.1
    • Mastery Example:
      • 9.1 for 5 reps
      • perform this circuit for 5 rounds (sets)
    • progress to T1/9.2 once the above is mastered
    • finish Series Training Block by mastering T1/9.6

P.S.

I empathize with trying to get concepts through to people and being frustrated with a disconnect. I deal with it in my line of work everyday. Coach Sommer's common response of simply repeating (or copying and pasting) the instructions he spent time and effort to construct and publish is something I often do. It may seem abrasive to some, but it really is a way of reminding people that the time and effort was spent to instruct, so reviewing and trying hard to understand and implement it is optimal over asking for things that have already been given.

 

You are hired for GB man! Thanks!

Étienne Lajeunesse
On 14/08/2017 at 3:52 AM, Philip Windsor said:

Looking at this i may be doing it wrong as im doing for example 2.1 for 5, having a little rest then doing the next set of 2.1. Continuing that until I've finished and then moving on to the next movement.

So will be interesting to see the response.  

Might try the variation here to see the difference :)

Hi Philip and @Andrew Schwartz,

I also do one element at the time in sets/recovery.  As I understand, you tried it in circuit.  What are your feedbacks about that?

Philip Windsor
12 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Hi Philip and @Andrew Schwartz,

I also do one element at the time in sets/recovery.  As I understand, you tried it in circuit.  What are your feedbacks about that?

Hi Étienne, 

Unfortunately i haven't been focusing on the Movement Series of late.

I felt like i needed to get a better handle on my Handstand work, so that has been my main focus. I've also been ill (fluid on my left lung) so over the last 4 weeks inversions have been impossible, so i swapped to focusing on middle and front splits.

Just this week starting to get back into everything and noticed that my splits work has made the Rock N Roll to Squat and the Pressure Rock N Roll easier.  

With the Rock N Roll to Squat before i was having trouble rising back up, i had to put loads of force/momentum into it.  Since my hips are more mobile now its a lot easier and feels more nature.

Once i get back into the full programming ill try to give another update.

Thanks Phil

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi @Philip Windsor,

I see, I hope everything's fine for you now! And yeah, mobile hips make all the difference sometimes! 

 I'll try the circuit method and keep you posted :)

Jared Birbeck

I like to use the rolls from 2, 3 and 4 as my warm up after a very quick quad movement. It helped with progress on some other tumbling movements I have been doing. It is also similar to the warm up my daughter does at her tumbling lessons and her gymnastic lessons with a combo of quad and rolls to warm up.

In terms of general programming I have used the circuit set up and the block type method. I prefer to circuit. But in reality it is more free flowing.

Étienne Lajeunesse
2 hours ago, Jared Birbeck said:

In terms of general programming I have used the circuit set up and the block type method. I prefer to circuit. But in reality it is more free flowing.

Yeah, I believe those are great warm-ups.

I will try both with the place I have.  By block method, do you mean 1 element at the time?

Joachim Hecht

Didn't see it from the circuit side until now :D will absolutely give it a try. I'm curious about a coach response :)

Mikey Cunanan

Guys, from a conditioning aspect, performing these exercises as a circuit would be beneficial. However, this type of training requires a relatively high level of proficiency with each movement.

At this early stage of development,  it would be a much better idea to focus on one skill at a time. Remember, your goal is to strive for PERFECT form with all skill based movements. This is the ONLY way to progress to master the Movement and Handstand Series. Therefore, skill acquisition should not be trained the same as conditioning.

Once a movement is no longer a challenging skill then you can and should incorporate it into your conditioning. But until then, the soundest approach is complete all sets and reps for a progression before moving on to the next.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Good point @Mikey Cunanan!  The circuit will wait a bit afterall :)

Can it be good to condition for more advanced tumbling however, once mastered?

Jon Douglas
2 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Good point @Mikey Cunanan!  The circuit will wait a bit afterall :)

Can it be good to condition for more advanced tumbling however, once mastered?

Absolutely. Not only good but mandatory; but there is no punch front without forward rolls requiring 0 effort:)

Étienne Lajeunesse
12 hours ago, Jon Douglas said:

Absolutely. Not only good but mandatory; but there is no punch front without forward rolls requiring 0 effort:)

It's funny how talked about it no later then last week :)

Christian Nogueira

Funny how straddle forward rolls became easy once I understood this punch the floor mechanic. 

Jared Birbeck
On 11/28/2017 at 2:21 PM, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Yeah, I believe those are great warm-ups.

I will try both with the place I have.  By block method, do you mean 1 element at the time?

yes, block I mean one exercise at a time. so all 5 sets of one exercise.

by circuit I mean I would do one set of something and then move onto the next exercise and a new set. not one rep then a different exercise. it keeps it fun, short and still enabling one to focus on acquiring the skill perfectly.