This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

I'm The New Guy

Started by Bryan Floyd, August 13, 2017 · 14 Replies · 1,275 Views

Bryan Floyd

Hello Everyone, 

I'm excited to be starting the foundations course. I have zero goals with anything related to gymnastics. However, I am determined to increase core strength and overall mobility. After 14 years of military service (10 of which has spent in Special Operations) this body is broken. With 250+ parachute jumps and all these years spent in kit running around various parts of the world I've earned myself 4 bulged discs in my back, absolutely terrible mobility, and lower back and neck pain on a daily basis. Yet I still drive hard in life as a husband, father, service member and wanna-be triathlete. I still have 6 years of use and abuse to give to my Country and I want to give my best. I feel the slow paced approach of Fundamentals, Foundations, and the Stretching Course is what I'm looking for. I'm excited to wake up someday (hopefully soon) pain free. I'll be cruising through the forums periodically and doing my daily workouts as often as possible. See you around. 

Cheers!

Bryan

Pauline Taube

Welcome to the GB community, Bryan!

we are looking forward to follow you on your journey. We are always here to help, feel free to reach out any time :) 

Pauline Taube

Hi @Bryan Floyd!

Almost a month since you started, how are you doing with training? :)

Tanya Hill

Time to submit a video review! ;)

Luke Searra

Welcome to the GB community, Bryan! We are here for any questions you have.

Bryan Floyd

@Pauline Taube. Thanks for checking in. Work got extremely busy for me. But, I was able to follow the workouts on the Fundamentals Course. I thought the course was good in the fact it was an eye opener to how bad my mobility is. I plan on signing up for the foundations course within the next week. I'm anxious to see how it helps with my goals of 1) strengthening my core 2) increasing mobility 3) decreasing back pain. Stay tuned. 

Bryan

Pauline Taube

Thanks for the update, Bryan. Sometimes life gets in the way of training. Happy to hear that you are getting back to it. Foundations will definitely help you along the way towards those goals. I also recommend to add the stretch courses to your schedule to speed the mobility gains a little ;) 

Looking forward to your updates :) 

Sam Worthy

Hi everyone,

I'm Sam - I started this last year and then got derailed by the usual excuses! My flexibility is shocking and that's what I'm here to sort out... 

I have purchased the foundation course but I'm finding it confusing what workouts I should do and when - Please can someone provide me with some advice of what to exercises to do and how often - thanks

 

Sam 

Everett Carroll

Hey Sam,

Thanks for reaching out to us here. Be sure to look at the private Foundation One section of the forum for past threads on this topic. There is a wealth of information in the private course subsections. As long as you log in with the same email address and password that you use for the courses, you'll be granted access. Also, there are a number of introductory articles in the 'Introduction' section of your 'Fitness' tab. 

Robert Gylling
On 13/8/2017 at 9:04 AM, Pauline Taube said:

Welcome to the GB community, Bryan!

we are looking forward to follow you on your journey. We are always here to help, feel free to reach out any time :) 

Hej Pauline

Im also new. I just bought handstand One  and started today Dec. 8 core. I want to ask you abt the program.  Is it possible to see what is the program the next dag Dec. 9? 

Br Robert 

Pauline Taube

Hi Robert,

Thanks for reaching out.

You will stay on the same progression until you reach step 9 which is mastery. You will moved to the next step based on which smiley you used when completing your workout.

If you are curious about the next exercises you can go to your Course Library (below the Fitness tab on top of your Dashboard) and get an overview of all the course material :)

I hope you enjoyed your workout. Let us know if you have any more questions :)

John Palmer

Hi evverybody. I bought this program a while back, struggled with it for the first two weeks due to extreme tightness in shoulders and hips, then fell off the wagon. I'm going to repeat from the beginning. My goals are (1) improve range of motion and reduce pain and tightness (2) improve overall movement (I've practiced Karate & Aikido for many years, but at 49, I'm struggling with pain and mobility issues that have become a hindrance to that practice) (3) develop resilience that will help me to continue training in the martial arts that I love for long time into the future.

Where I am confused is, when I have trouble with a movement (ex, crab walk) should I continue workin movement until I can do it, or do I need to get the stretch/F1 courses to learn how to address the issues that are hindering my ability to execute the movement?

Thank you & best regards to all.

Alessandro Mainente

The fundamentals is a good way to understand limitations, then when you meet them take note of them and here in the forum you ask for the direction you have to take.

Bryan Floyd

@ Pauline, I just returned home from a deployment. Tried my best to stick to a routine over there, but it wasn't in the cards. Now that I've been home for about a month I have been trying to do once a week (Middle Split, Front Split, and Thoracic Stretch). Additionally, I have been trying to complete the core 3 times a week as well as Upper Body Foundations 1-2 times a week and depending on the week I might throw in Lower Body Foundations. On top of all that I am trying to get back into Triathlon shape and am mixing 2-3 rides a week, 2 runs, and 2 swims. In all, thats a lot on the plate. But its doable. My question for you is, how much of the stretching series do I need to be doing on a weekly basis? I'm tight everywhere. So everything needs attention. They are long sessions and eat up a lot of time. I need to devote time to it, but wonder what the proper ratio is. Most of the stretches I am completing are hardly in the proper form because I don't have the mobility to do it right. Curious of your thoughts. Thank you. - Bryan

Alessandro Mainente

HI Bryan, your activity is pretty taxing in term of tightness. You should begin with once a week for all the stretch series and begin to insert additional stretch (only for the muscles you are going to use more in your activity )only after reaching a good confidence with all the exercises.