This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Aerial straps

Started by Nick Murray, August 13, 2017 · 6 Replies · 207 Views

Nick Murray

Yesterday I had a one-hour aerial straps workshop at a local aerials gym. I've been wanting to try something like this ever since seeing Dreya Weber in the movie The Gymnast. My all-time favourite movie (though she's on silks rather than straps).

Impressions: straps are less stable than rings, and need more wrist extensor strength (at least, that's what's hurting me the most today, along with a triceps burn that even 5x5 Russian dips haven't caused before!). Given that aerial straps usually have some elasticity and bounce in them, getting a muscle up was a lot more difficult - the straps tended to fight me! I've never used a proper ring tower, but I don't think a rings setup has any bounce in the supports at all.

All the GB elements contributed, especially side and front lever. SLS was helpful in getting enough power to jump up into a muscle-up after my lats gave out :)

At the end of the hour, with aching arms, most of the skin around my wrists chafed off, I think I've found my life's calling. It puts all the GB training into a context for me and has rebuilt my motivation after hitting several plateaus, mobility being the big one. I feel as if I've taken a step back from Foundation, and seen Foundation really as.... a foundation - with an entire universe of physical possibilities outside it. So rather than getting hung up on minor setbacks with each PE and SE and iM, I've figured out WHY I'm actually training.

I hope this makes sense to anyone who reads this. Maybe I'm just a bit slow to catch on...

Here's an example of an aerial straps performance that I'm just blown away by:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_uyYPbzV9jU

 

 

Everett Carroll

Awesome, Nick! Glad you found an activity that motivates you to keep training harder. I know that one of Coach Sommer's athletes is now a professional aerial arts performer. GST certainly transfers! 

Suzanna McGee

@Nick Murray, this is so exciting… I am so impressed and happy for you. I love watching the straps (haven't tried them (yet)… for sure not ready (yet) :-) ). Keep us posted about your progress and successes. I started GST because I started to do pole fitness and it was so incredibly hard for me (tall and heavy and weak, ha ha), and I needed to get stronger. It's been much slower journey that I could have ever imagined, but I am having fun. And getting better. Look at this strap performance. I just cannot stop watching this man, the grace and strength is just so beautiful:  https://youtu.be/78D70aoGUKw

 

Also, did you know that our GB student @Julian Aldag is really really good at this? I think it's ropes, not straps, but looks as  impressive :) 

EDIT: Here is Julian… It's a rope, one rope, not straps…  amazing… https://youtu.be/WCNQbY99sdY

 

Nick Murray

@Suzanna McGee that was quite special. One arm back lever! So little effort!

Julian's performance...wow. Sublime!  RC/SE1000!  Thank you again for posting these links. It's so inspiring to think that one day we might be able to do a little of what these people can do.

Another artist I'm completely in love with is Erika Lemay (mainly silks and handbalancing).

It's a slow journey when you're a bit older :S

 

Julian Aldag

Thanks for the mention @Suzanna McGee!   (That video of me is an oldie but a goodie! :P  )

Much of the mechanics of straps are the same as Gymnastic Rings. As Circus is an art form, and there is no offical governing body regulating skills on straps, so you will find variances in technique. And often in the circus world you have people who are not so good, teaching other people their not so good technique...   In my opinion, gymnastic rings are a much harder apparatus than straps to master. But having said that, rings strength training is a great compliment to improve the capabilities of the body on straps. When I was at the circus school, I was pushing for people to train on the rings and was looked down on like I didn't know I was talking about. Now people have realised how beneficial it is. 

The muscle up on straps is a little different as the normal wrist wrap tends to drag your wrist into extension during support. To counter this, add an extra wrap around the wrist. This extra wrap will lie in wrist crevice between the thumb and forearm. This will give you the leverage for the muscle up.

The hardest skills set to learn on straps is the changes from meat hook to flag (this is several different names). Once you have that, the rest of the traditional straps skillset is pretty straight forward. 

If you are in Canberra, look up Lewie West. Thats his hometown and I think he was just recently there holding workshops. Now thats a guy who's power level is over 9000!

(Also quick side note, I'm currently performing with the other woman (Addie) in the movie the Gymnast!)

Throw any Circus related questions my way!

Nick Murray

@Julian Aldag Lewie taught the workshop! You're correct about his power level.

Please tell Addie that she and Dreya (Weber) provided much of the inspiration for an old guy (me) getting into gymnastics in the first place! 

I'll try the muscle up variation you suggested. Thanks Julian!

 

Julian Aldag

Yup! Lewie was the year above me at circus school and is a direct descendant of Achilles.   

As you consider yourself an 'old guy' my Dragonball Z famous reference may have been lost on you. Here's the video!

I will tell Addie that! I though I would never disclose a woman's age without her permission, lets just say she recently had a beautiful baby (Later than the average person would) and she's back crushing it in the show. Age is not an excuse, just an obstacle.