This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Flexion/Extention strength gap

Started by Philip Windsor, August 12, 2017 · 4 Replies · 120 Views

Philip Windsor

Hi all, 

I'm on PE2 now but I've carried on with the weighted shoulder flexion from PE1 and worked up to 8.75kgs.

I am making much slower progress on the PE2 iM shoulder extensions. currently 2.5kgs but not quite height enough for mastery.

so my question is should I keep progressing with the PE1 iM when I feel ready or will i be causing a shoulder imbalance and better off staying at my current level until I can do 8.75kgs on shoulder extensions? 

Should shoulder flexion and Extention be a one to one relationship in terms of strength?

thanks Phil

Jon Douglas

1:1 might be a bit over ambitious, but it is beneficial to have strong shoulder extension. Along with shoulder balance, strong extension is required for that manna!

Posting a form check will help us iron out anything you might be leaving on the table; like many weighted im weight on these can usually be increased relatively quickly once the movement is solidly in place :)

Étienne Lajeunesse

Good question @Philip Windsor!

So it does not matter if the weight is lighter for extensions than it is for flexions?

Everett Carroll

The weight is almost inevitably lower in extension work for beginners. Minimum mastery weight is 1-2kg for these iMs, but it's best to try and exceed those standards.   

Philip Windsor

Thanks all I'll try get some videos for a form check. I now get that 1:1 ratio might be a stretch, the manna is hardcore!