This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Static Standing Shoulder Extension (HS/PE2>iM)

Started by Daniel Martin 288186, August 10, 2017 · 3 Replies · 114 Views

Daniel Martin 288186

Hello all,

I just joined Handstand 1 and am very excited to get started!

I noticed that one of the early mobility exercises is the static standing shoulder extension with a barbell. My mobility is so limited right now that I can barely lift my arms behind me a few degrees. Nowhere near shoulder level (not even half way!). 

Is there a progression I can follow? Or is it recommended for me to just do the exercise in the same way, as far up as I can go?

Thank you,

Daniel

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Daniel,

No need to worry. Most people start off in the same position that you are in now. I recommend starting this iM with an unweighted bar. A wooden dowel rod or broom stick will work great. First work on elevating the arms to shoulder level with the hands as wide or as narrow as you need them to be. Once you are able to lift the bar to shoulder level, work on bringing the hands closer together until they are shoulder width apart. When you can do both of these things simultaneously it is time to start adding weight to the bar little by little. Improving mobility takes patience and consistency. Keep working hard and you'll get it!

Daniel Martin 288186

Amazing, thanks for the advice! Is there any specific guidance for what I should do with my scapula as I am extending my arms?

Pauline Taube

Hi Daniel, 

You want to keep your scapula depressed and retracted :)