This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Former Gymnast with Wrist Issues

Started by Lindsay Blamire, August 7, 2017 · 1 Replies · 111 Views

Lindsay Blamire

Hi everyone,

I am a former high level gymnast with wrist issues. I purchased Handstand to help me with this, as my wrists are giving me lots of problems during yoga classes (and I'm trying to avoid wearing a brace).

In my younger years I wore wrist braces on both hands from 10 years old to 18. I had terrible tendonitis in wrists + elbows. It has continued to cause me problems into adulthood.

I love handstands! I love backbends! I still love flipping (on a trampoline)!

But my wrists are getting really bad again. 3-4 days a week of yoga + working on a computer is not good.

Rather than doing the handstand work only 1x per week, would it make sense for me to be doing the wrist exercises (especially stretching) daily or a few times a week? They seem similar to what I have done in PT in the past.

Note: my wrist flexibility is horrendous for all of those years of bracing. I'm sure this is why it is flaring up now.

The handstands stuff is all familiar to me, and not that challenging... except that it kills my wrists. They are what is holding me back.

I'm open for recommendations!

Thanks!

Lindsay

 

Alessandro Mainente

hey Lindsay, if you wrists are too weak 8generally tendonitis are a sign of weak muscles and tissue) you should begin with at least once a week and after 3-4 months you can insert a day session where you can add another strengthening work for the wrists. then I would wait up to 7-9 months before adding another day. on the other side, the stretches can be done more often, especially the ones where you feel tighter.