This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Lew's Log - 2017

Started by LaughingTiger, August 7, 2017 · 1 Replies · 14 Views

LaughingTiger

Hello Everyone,

I can't believe my last post on this site was back in 2012...  I am back on the site, because I have recently started seriously pursuing gymnastic skills again.

For the past 3 weeks, I have been attending shoulder prehab sessions at a local gym in Washington, DC.  I appreciate working with an instructor and all of the equipment he has at the location.

My current goals are to regain the ability to do pull ups and finally achieve an L-Sit and freestanding handstand.  I'm 44 years old, 5'9" (175.26 cm)  and usually weigh between 238 to 244 pounds (approx 107.955 to 110.677 kg.)

I doubt this log will be exactly like my old log.  I will track my progress with blogs, pictures and video.

I am not sure that I will record my sessions at the gym, since they are group sessions.  If I ever appear in their recorded sessions, I will place a link in this log.  Most likely I will chart what we did in class and occasionally record myself doing some of the exercises we did while in class.  I will also record a video of my current ability to perform a pull-up,  l-sit and handstand.  I won't post regular videos of these skills unless I feel there's a reason to do so.

Thanks for reading.  I appreciate any support be it in the form of critique, suggestion, etc.

V/r,

Lew

LaughingTiger

I woke up this morning and after looking in the mirror, I decided to weigh myself.  I was pleasantly surprised to learn that I now weigh 232.8 pounds (105.596 kg.)  As recently as last week, I weighed 244 pounds (110.677 kg.)  I had gotten down to as low as 227 pounds (102.965 kg) in the past 4 months before going back to 244 pounds.  

This week's weight loss was not planned.  I have been eating less while at work, because I was spending too much money on meals and snacks.  At home, I did not change what I ate for dinner or my snacking habits.  I don't weigh myself often, maybe once or twice every 7 to 14 days.  I will weigh myself again on Friday, August 18, to see if there is an additional change.
-----------------------
My exercise during the week has been a mix of:

  • modified inchworm walks - forward and backward
  • sliding reverse planks
  • sliding push up with mountain climber combination

I would do two of the exercises as a superset.  These sessions would not last very long, 2-3 minutes max.  I would do this multiple times at home or work.  No set goal, I just did the exercises when I thought of them.

Modified inchworm:
https://youtu.be/qHIZA5FNfmo?t=36s

I am not very flexible, so I have to do the exercise as shown in the video.  Once my hands are extended in front of me, I drop my hips into a position similar to cobra pose.  Then with bent knees, I walk my feet to my hands.  After completing 2 or 3 reps of forward walk, I would do the same amount of reps in reverse.

Sliding reverse planks:
https://youtu.be/Fujd_53bf74

I do not get as high off of the ground as she does in the video.

Sliding push up with mountain climber:

I could not find a good video to share for this one.  I will either make one at home or in class tomorrow.  You place one slider under a foot and a second slider under the opposite hand.  Example, left foot and right hand.  You start in push up position with your chest near the ground.

  • Push up to plank position and then bring foot on slider towards your chest and then slide it back.
  • Next you slide hand on slider forward beyond your head, while lowering yourself toward the ground.  Try not to touch ground.
  • Push yourself away from the ground while sliding hand back so that you finish in plank position

I would do 4 to 8 reps and then switch the sliders to other hand and foot. I would try to do same amount of reps after the switch.

Thanks again for reading.  Tomorrow before class, I hope to take videos of my attempts at pull up, wall supported handstand, and foot supported L-Sit on blocks.

V/r,

Lew