This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

advice needed for kind of beginner.

Started by Martyn Grant, August 5, 2017 · 6 Replies · 251 Views

Martyn Grant

I done gymnastic bodies 2 years back with great progress but then decided I would chase a life time strength goal involving kettlbells and barbells so stopped training gymnastic bodies.

I am back to this training now and would like to train for -

front lever, muscle up on rings and back lever, ad well as deep Jefferson curl and splits front and sides.

Problem is I still want to squat as I feel deep Olympic squats help keep me testosterone levels up and give me an all round energy to help train.

any advice on how I can program this ? 

I was thinking -

Monday - squats, calve work, front, back lever work, front split stretch series - 

Tuesday - false grip rows, false static hangs in rings, bent knee static holds and mobility work which goes along with each stage of front lever foundation & train upper body push to help muscle up - ( just now I am doing push-ups with parraletes and pseudo planchette style push-ups with rings along with statics.

wednesday - some idol portal style movement and side splits 

Repeat for thur, fri and sat and sun off

 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Coach Sommer has stated a number of times to complete the Foundation specific elements first(PE and iM) and then, if you have the extra energy, do your supplementary free weight specific training. Generally speaking there are going to be Foundation workouts that take up the majority of your energy.

Keep this in mind. The muscle and strength Olympic level gymnasts have is due to tendon development not routines designed for short term hypertrophic muscle gains.

In regards to workout routine advice, read this thread.
 

Everett Carroll

Hey Martyn,

Rayne-William is spot on. Train your GB Foundations before proceeding to additional strength work (if you have energy) and more advanced mobility exercises. For example, on a lower body day, perform your GB lower body workout and get after some extra GST mobility drills before proceeding to any weighted work. Stretch after. 

Keep in mind, however, that we do not suggest loading lower body strength work until the single leg squat has been mastered. 

Martyn Grant

Thanks guys,

I have been brutally honest with myself and I am happy to start the basics again. already feeling better after 1 month of bodyweight training and i think I will hang my barbell up until pistol and mobility for loweR body has been achieved. 

Cheers for the Link

Martyn Grant

I see gymnastic bodies has moved on a lot since I last logged on a few years back with the follow along programs but i prefer to train the foundations again.

does this seem like a reasonable training routine for foundation 1 -

 

Mon - Front Lever ,Side lever ,Single leg squat,  front split series

Tue - Straddle planche, Rope climb, Hollow back press, hand stand - thoracic bridge stretching series

Wed - Dynamic Mobilty ( movement warmup ) - side split series

Thur - repeat same as monday

Fri - repeat same as tuesday 

Sat - repeat same as wednesday

Sun - off

 

 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Work with a routine that best suits your particular time constraints. If the above typed out routine works best for you, try it.

Do not be in a rush, tendons take at least twelve weeks to develop. Ligaments take longer. Tendons connect muscle to bone.

Everett Carroll

In addition to Rayne-William's comments, we recommend only performing each stretch series once per week. Also, keep things simple and perform your Upper, Lower, and Core workouts 1-2x per week. I always suggest beginning with Coach Sommer's recommended schedule and then adding on as you see fit from there.