Why do the Side lever?

Started by Santiago Pinzón, August 5, 2017 · 2 Replies · 2,810 Views

Santiago Pinzón

Hello, I wanted to know a little bit about the rationale behind doing the Side lever. As I see it, all the other movements from Foundation can be included in some way into gymnastics skills or apparatus, except for the side lever. What would be the importance on this movement for the development of a good base? 

 

Thanks for the help.

Alessandro Mainente

It is one of the best ways to develop both straight arm strength and especially the middle-section (core) strength, especially for the spine stability.

Étienne Lajeunesse

Hi @Santiago Pinzón,

As I know from the exercise, it's that one from GB that majorly targets the obliques and lombars.  From a balanced body perspective, coach wanted to put into effort every weak parts (and strong parts of course) to fix them.  Side lever is a logic one in this case since we are completely horizontal, unlike the other elements.

I suppose he also put it there to have a nice goal to reach instead of just putting the progressions in other skills.

I'm sure coaches can complete this.:)