This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Time between exercises in the same series

Started by Paul Del Casino, August 4, 2017 · 7 Replies · 299 Views

Paul Del Casino

GST advises that while working a particular exercise in a series, say a FL progression in Core for example, that the student train the strength and mobility portions back to back without resting until all the allocated sets are complete. What about between different exercises in the same workout?

Say I was working Core and did the prescribed sets of FL work...would I then immediately move on to SL work with no rest and then MN work after that? And as a follow up, how MUCH rest would be allowed between exercises? Could I do the FL work and then come back 2 hours later and do SL or MN? 

 

Matthias Schwartz

Hi Paul, 

From what I have read on the forum, the ideal is to go back-to-back with little rest, maybe a minute or two between each of the 3 movements. I shoot for that, especially when testing to see if I can click the Easy smiley.

However, there are some days where I can't even get 30-45 minutes to do a warmup + the whole workout, so I split up Core or Upper Body into smaller portions throughout the day. In extreme cases where I'm traveling or time is really tight, I even do parts on different days. It's better to do something rather than nothing, so if you have to, it's better to split it up than skip it. There's no harm in just doing one of the exercises at a time. I even do remedial work on single exercises on other days.

I wouldn't count a fractional workout performance toward anything like mastery or moving on to higher reps in the exercise, but it's still a valid workload that will help get you stronger.

Just have to do the best you can with the time you've got.

Best,

Matt

Everett Carroll

Hey Paul,

Matthias provided some great advice. As little rest as possible between different exercise pairs in the workout is ideal. Coach has clarified in another post by suggesting that a short break for a sip of water is acceptable, but don't milk the system. I prefer to rest no more than 30s between transitions to a new exercise pair. 

On your core day, it's ideal to crank out FL, SL, and MN in a single bout, without resting.

Leigh Kettle

I play the "full workout" video and go straight  into the next exercise once the preceding one is completed . The only rest I take is between upper/core /lower etc . This is working well for me and my endurance . Also as there is the option of "play full workout" video in the first place then  I figure that ideally the workouts in each section "should" be done one after the other .....

good luck in your training 

Benjamin Nutt

I take a little time between Movements to take notes and record my smiley faces. Forgive me, Gymnastic gods.

Ryan Segervall

A while back I was permitted up to three minutes rest in-between exercises , as I have to pack up my things and move to different areas in the gym. for example after RC i have to take down my rings pack them up and then move to the other side of the gym where there is a bench to preform my HBP incline pushup variation.  My initial understanding was up to three minute rest period would allow for some recovery and better intensity in the next exercise while slightly decreasing fatigue build up, which seemed beneficial for steady progress,  but now I am reconsidering this.... 

 

Any counters to this?

I will begin trying to put a move on after finishing my RC progression and get to next exercise as fast as possible. 

Everett Carroll
13 hours ago, Ryan Segervall said:

I will begin trying to put a move on after finishing my RC progression and get to next exercise as fast as possible. 

This piece I quoted is a good plan. Do what you have to do to get relocated and set to go for your next progression, but don't dawdle. Relocate quickly, sip a little water as you go, and get back to work ASAP. As Coach often says, don't milk the system. 

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Here are a few threads to read.

1. Maximal Strength is Not a Panacea  (Read this post, from Coach Sommer, in particular)

2. From New to Foundation One? Start Here (Emphasis added)

Quote

Training with F1
How much rest time do I get?

No rest between strength and mobility. {For example, in Week 1 for FL/PE1 (Bent Hollow Hold), you will complete ;
12s hold, 5r cat/cow, 12s hold, 5r cat/cow, 12s hold, 5r cat/cow} with no rest between these exercises.

Once you have completed them, a short rest before beginning sPL work is permissible. It is in your interest to complete these with minimal rest to improve work capacity for later training, and the exercises have been structured to allow the working muscles to actively rest before being required to work again, (EG: in sPL and HBP work on the same day.}