This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Do I really have to do tripod and headstand if I can hold a 40sec chest to wall handstand?

Started by Amy Wong, August 2, 2017 · 11 Replies · 524 Views

Amy Wong

I've been attending GST & handstand classes at my local GB affiliate gym. Out of impulse shopping I bought the handstand and movement package, thinking I could practice more at home. Kinda disappointed to find that there is no techniques and scaling videos like those in Foundation 1 (those are extremely useful) and wonder if I can skip the tripod/headstand progressions since I have been doing 3 to 5 sets of 40sec chest to wall handstands in class? I have no idea how to do a tripod or headstand (they didn't teach that in class) nor do I have any desire to attempt that on my own for fear of breaking my neck! What are the the tripod/headstand progressions for anyway? 

Appreciate your advice.

And please please consider adding techniques and scaling videos in the handstand and movement courses. The short videos in the course do not give adequate instructions on how to  safely execute such complex moves. 

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Amy, the technical videos are a "work in progress" step !!

For your question the idea of the tripod etc it is to still understand the alignment WHILE filling the mobility gap. now If you show me your wall handstand from the side and from the front I can give you a reasonable opinion. Also the mastery of IM1 up to the IM of the wall handstand it is appreciated.

Amy Wong

Hi Alessandro, what do you mean by "the technical videos are a "work in progress" step"? You mean the videos are currently being produced and will be added to the courses in due time? 

Do you mean that if my wall handstand alignment is correct, then it is not necessary to do the tripod/headstand PE progressions?

Alessandro Mainente

That as for foundations we are working to insert the technical video also for handstand one.

The earlier progression should be mastered anyway.being supported by the wall has little to do with the balance of tripos, headstand and forearms handstand which require practicing balance. so be sure to master them.

Suzanna McGee

@Amy Wong, when you do your tripod and headstand, just have a wall behind you for the mental safety. You do not need to touch it. And if you do, no big deal, it's there for you so you wouldn't fall and "break your neck" (as you say). I was horribly scared of handstands, that's why I bought the course, to finally learn it. So I started the beginning PEs with a wall behind me, and touched many times, but with time, I got better and feeling safer, and then I was able to get into a headstand without touching the wall. I think that these progressions, and feeling the inverted balance (not leaning on the wall that you do in your gymnastic gym now) will help you in the future free handstands. I am not there myself yet, I am also tummy to the wall, but to this day, I still throw in some headstands to feel my body line and balance. 

Amy Wong

@Suzanna McGee Thanks for the encouragement and tip :)

Tobias Karlsson

I am also very afraid of falling and breaking something when being upside down. In my opinion the headstand versions are good for two things. The first is that they build strength in a lot of muscles. the second is that you get comfortable being upside down. What I did was to start with the PE1, when that felt solid I started with that as a starting position and then slowly brought my feet up and then you are at PE2. Also for PE3 I start with legs bent and then slowly straighten them. I really like how it feels like I have control every second of the movement. 

Leo Trinidad

Hi Guys,

Aside from being comfortable being upside down, these headstand position builds strength and endurance for your back, traps, neck, shoulders, triceps, forearms, wrists, fingers, core, legs and even helps with the mental conditioning for being upside down. When I first started Handstand One, I can already do a minute handstand against the wall. This progressions will also carryover to more advanced exercises like freestanding handstand pushups. I hope this helps. :)

Tobias Karlsson

Furthermore, the balancing skill that you practice with the headstand is very different from the one you practice with the wall assisted. In a wall assisted it can feel like you get minimal support from the wall and feel like you are 95% standing on your hands. However, because your feet are so far from your hands that attachment point gives a lot of stability. When you instead stand on only your arms, you have to balance your entire body and now instead of support it will give you instability. In order to stand still on your arms for 1 min. Your body has to be under full control and only contribute minimal stability as it is multiplied by the length of your body. You must also learn to quickly correct for any imbalance, something that is not required for a chest to wall handstand.

Amy Wong

Thanks all for the words of encouragement and instructions. After searching the internet and youtubes, I finally got into a tripod and managed to progress to step 6 of PE1. Just to be sure that I'm practising right, does it matter where you place the knees on the arms? Some say to place the knees outside the arms, some say to place the knees on the arms, some say to bring them close to the chest while others say it doesn't matter. I'm kinda confused.  Any tips? Much appreciated!

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

Headstand and tripod are not overly dangerous. Tucking your chin against your chest makes tumbling out of headstand or tripod like a forward/backward somersault on the ground.  

Other than what has already been stated and since you have a GB affiliate near by. Test mastery for Tripod and Headstand when you attend, or prior to the start of, your next class.

Pauline Taube

Hi Amy,

Happy to hear that you are moving forward with your headstand practice! You can keep your knees on your elbows or the arms, whatever you feel most comfortable with. Feel free to submit a form check to get more specific feedback regarding your form. It would be cool to follow your progress as well :)