This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Wrist to wall handstand

Started by Mehdi Meghzifene, August 1, 2017 · 7 Replies · 136 Views

Mehdi Meghzifene

Hi all,

First of all I would like to thank everybody very much in advance. Being a former pro athlete, I have started doing F1/H1 together with the stretch series three months ago. I am already feeling a lot of improvement. I had recurring shoulder and elbow pain and both have completely disappeared.

The reason, I am posting today is because I am having issues with one specific progression, namely the wrist to wall handstand.

The closest I am getting is my wrists 2 inches from the wall and although I am able to keep a posterior pelvic tilt, my shoulders are not open enough and my arms are not aligned with my body line. The problem seems to be that I can't possible get my shoulders to be aligned with my body line because my chest is on the way. On the picture attached, my chest is about 2cm from the wall, it starts touching the wall as soon as I try to open up the shoulder more.

When I stay a bit further from the wall, I am able to open my shoulders a lot better and get my arms to be aligned with my body line.

Am I trying to get too close to the wall or is there another issue?

Thanks again for your help.

Mehdi

 

IMG_2829.jpg

Alessandro Mainente

Hi Mehdi, well before saying or giving more suggestion I would like to see from you IM1, IM2 and the standing prone dislocate mastery.

Mehdi Meghzifene

Hi Alessandro, many thanks for your quick reply. I will shoot these videos at my next training session and post them here.

Luke Searra

Mehdi we will be waiting for your video posts :)

Mehdi Meghzifene

Alessandro, Luke, thank you very much again.

Here are the videos shot yesterday. Please let me know if you think I should work more on my shoulder mobility before attempting any more chest to wall handstands.

HS/PE1-iM

HS/PE2-iM

Prone Dislocates

Standing Dislocates

 PS: Apologies, I try to embed the videos but I can't seem to be able to do it so I just added the links.

Alessandro Mainente

Hei Mehdi I need to be hard and strict on the judgment:

-the first IM it is not correct: the body it is not leaning, the shoulder begins to dislocate, the grip it is too wide. so I cannot consider it mastered.

-the second IM the range of movement it is not 90° of extension so I cannot consider this mastered

-third video: lower back it is arched and grip it is too wide, I cannot consider this enough good.

-4th video: grip it is too wide, strong asymmetric work appears when you move to the back, so I cannot consider this one mastered.

At this point, after seeing your mobility deficit I doubt that your wall wrists handstand it is enough good. you should step back and fix the mobility.

Mehdi Meghzifene

Hi Alessandro, thanks a lot for the feedback. I will go back to previous progressions until the mobility is good enough.

I understand all the points but still have a question on the grip width. How narrow should I be able to go on the first IM's and the dislocates? What about the undergrip dislocates?

Everett Carroll

Hey Medhi,

Shoulder width is the goal for the shoulder flexion and extension drills (the first 4 iMs).

For dislocate variations, a hands width outside of shoulder width is the goal.