This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Step 5 PE1 Scap Push Ups

Started by Tony Johnson, August 1, 2017 · 12 Replies · 252 Views

Tony Johnson

Struggling with these and have been stuck on step 5 for ages and then I see this;

 

Anyone with a better understanding of training have a comment on the above.  I don't want to be making my bad 50 year old posture worse!

 

Alessandro Mainente

Hey Tony, if the shoulders are held in the depressed position the natural tendency of the hand it is to remain in front of the shoulder.

Tony Johnson
21 hours ago, Alessandro Mainente said:

Hey Tony, if the shoulders are held in the depressed position the natural tendency of the hand it is to remain in front of the shoulder.

Sorry for my ignorance, Alessandro, I'm not sure what you mean? Is that a good or a bad thing?

Everett Carroll

Good. As he mentions in the video, you'll get more serratus activation in that case, which is something we want for future planche work. 

Tony Johnson

Excellent, thanks Everett, I didn't want my glacial progress to be in vain! 

Everett Carroll

You've got this Tony! It's worth the time, trust me :)

 

Tony Johnson

Cheers! I've progressed marginally quicker on the other exercises but as I tend to do core, lower body and upper body as F7 once a week and the scap push ups are the last in the program maybe I'm  fatiguing.  Maybe I'll try splitting the workouts.  

Petra Dvorak

The guys statement about activating the M.serratus anterior "it is easier to activate the serratus if the arm is above 90°" is not completely right, in fact it is the other way around: you can only lift the humerus above 90° if the serratus is active! Without serratus anterior > no lateral/upward rotation of the scapula > no chance to lift your arm.

Very recently i had a patient with a paresis of the N.thoracicus longus, which innervates the M.serr.ant.

Moderate winging of the scapula in relaxed position,                 picture when trying to lift the arms

IMG_3180-3.jpg.89585a5c7ac3ecff31a4c89019948428.jpg                        IMG_3184-3.jpg.124f0a1ac2ba842a086de79668faadf9.jpg

Tony Johnson
1 hour ago, Petra Dvorak said:

The guys statement about activating the M.serratus anterior "it is easier to activate the serratus if the arm is above 90°" is not completely right, in fact it is the other way around: you can only lift the humerus above 90° if the serratus is active! Without serratus anterior > no lateral/upward rotation of the scapula > no chance to lift your arm.

Very recently i had a patient with a paresis of the N.thoracicus longus, which innervates the M.serr.ant.

Moderate winging of the scapula in relaxed position,                 picture when trying to lift the arms

IMG_3180-3.jpg.89585a5c7ac3ecff31a4c89019948428.jpg                        IMG_3184-3.jpg.124f0a1ac2ba842a086de79668faadf9.jpg

Very interesting, there's a lot to this that I don't understand, that's one appeal of the Gymnastic Bodies program, trusting it works in the long run!  Which is why I had hoped for some refutation of the original video, thanks.

Everett Carroll
3 hours ago, Tony Johnson said:

Maybe I'll try splitting the workouts.  

Great idea. Personally, I find I progress better that way. 

Alessandro Mainente
23 hours ago, Petra Dvorak said:

The guys statement about activating the M.serratus anterior "it is easier to activate the serratus if the arm is above 90°" is not completely right, in fact it is the other way around: you can only lift the humerus above 90° if the serratus is active! Without serratus anterior > no lateral/upward rotation of the scapula > no chance to lift your arm.

Very recently i had a patient with a paresis of the N.thoracicus longus, which innervates the M.serr.ant.

Moderate winging of the scapula in relaxed position,                 picture when trying to lift the arms

IMG_3180-3.jpg.89585a5c7ac3ecff31a4c89019948428.jpg                        IMG_3184-3.jpg.124f0a1ac2ba842a086de79668faadf9.jpg

I quote perfectly Petra. In fact, the best serratus anterior activation can be achieved if the flexion it is actively achieved and not if it passive like in the video above. to be more clearly trying to protract while lifting the arm slowly it is a complete activation especially if you try to externally rotate the arm during the arm flexion in the front ( not to the side).

Ryan Segervall

Just to clarify, optimal positioning of your hands are slightly in front of shoulder line, to help emphasize slight upward rotation and protraction of the scapulae for maximal SA recruitment? 

 

Thanks, 

 

Ryan

Alessandro Mainente

No, the position it is with hands under the shoulders while holding the scapulae depressed. this makes the difference.