Backbending

Started by Laine Rinehart, July 30, 2017 · 6 Replies · 4,442 Views

Laine Rinehart

Could use advice as far as going deeper into this from a gymnastics perspective. Should I be trying to have my feet pointed more forward? Would it be useful to try to actively straighten out through the arms? Thanks!

Backbend.JPG

Coach Sommer

Here at GB we would never do this variation.  

Why?  It only focuses on the lumbar.  For GST purposes, we always focus on thoracic extension.

Yours in Fitness,

Coach Sommer

Laine Rinehart

So you would say there's no real way to activate thoracic extension in this particular kind of backbend. I'm always interested in extending out through the mid back and find ways to do it in other backbends but this particular one is more or less the pinnacle backbend of ashtanga  if there's a way to create more upper and middle backbend that would be awesome but I understand where you are coming from.

Everett Carroll

Hey Laine,

Great question. Like Coach Sommer mentioned, in our bridge work, we make some minor adjustments to put the focus on stretching the thoracic spine. Our Thoracic Bridge Stretch Course covers this way of using bridge work to stretch. https://www.gymnasticbodies.com/gb-courses/stretch-series/

Laine Rinehart

Thanks for the feedback man. I might check it out. Do you think gymnastics bodies will ever come out with an advandced stretch or backbend series? 

Everett Carroll

My pleasure! It's surely a possibility, though I don't know for sure. I do know, however, that the more advanced curriculum expands off of the ROM developed in the stretch courses, so it would make sense for there to be more difficult thoracic bridge progressions for those who are ready for it. 

Laine Rinehart

Cool one can only hope.