This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

TBSSE 16, 17,19, 21 - not ready

Started by Peter Ols, July 29, 2017 · 2 Replies · 99 Views

Peter Ols

Hi,

Today I did my 4:th session in thoracic bridge stretch.

It feels like the exercices are very good for me except the ones mentioned below.

I get discomfort in the front of the shoulders in TBSSE 16,17, 19 and 21. I can do 16 and 17 for 10-20 sek with some discomfort (near pain) but it feels like my shoulders are not in balance and I need to build them up.

Some info of my strength and mobility:

-Having lifted weights for 25 years

-I miss shoulder extension, shoulderwidth I have about 30-45degrees

-Shoulder flexion is "ok", 165 degrees, with straight back.

-Thoracic spine mobility is bad

-Very bad in doing dislocates, need a very very wide grip to be able to make it without discomfort in front of the shoulders.

-I can do deep bodyweight dips without any problem

-I have the strength also to do ropeclimbing without feets.

Today I did instead of TBSSE 16,17, 19 and 21,  Xiaopengs with 2,5 kg whih feels very good for the area in front of the shoulders, I also dit dislocates, shoulder extension and rotator-cuff mobility/strengthening.

My idea is to go slow and painfree and wait with these exercises until I feel ready to avoid getting hurt. I belive my prime movers in my upper body is out of balance with the smaller stabilizing muscles which I have to build.

 

Do yuo think my approach is ok?

Do you have any specific tips instead of TBSSE 16,17, 19 and 21?

 

Pauline Taube

Hi Peter,

It's completely normal not being able to complete the entire series to begin with. The final stretches are quite advanced, you definitely want to go slow and painfree. I recommend to to skip these stretches for now and wait until your mobility improves. You may add a couple sets of the elevated cat and inverted cat during the day/week. 

Peter Ols

Thanks Pauline:)