This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

First Thoracic bridge stretch series today!

Started by Matthias Schwartz, July 27, 2017 · 2 Replies · 89 Views

Matthias Schwartz

Wow, what a horror show! I've been doing both splits series for a few months as those were a priority but this week decided I'd start the TB series.

Ugh, it was terrible. My hips and legs are flexible from crossfit and martial arts but my upper back is a brick. I was able to do most of the workout but hit a wall when I got to the actual bridges. Funny, in my 30s I was able to do a decent wall walk at will. Now I only got half way down before blowing up. That's what 10 years of not doing it, along with desk work, will do to you.

I even tried @Suzanna McGee's band technique. That has promise although I couldn't get it dialed in with enough tension during the workout. Will get that in place to get me started. Great idea!

The actual bridging and arching motions are now so foreign to me that I know I have a lot of work to do there. The good news is that there are also lots of gains to be made there. Looking forward to what the next few months will bring. The TB stretch is now going into the rotation. Holy crap, what a great movement. I think that getting a decent bridge is an important part of a strong health/athleticism foundation.  Just wanted to share the horror and the wonder at this new movement.

Everett Carroll

Thanks for sharing this Matthias! Keep consistent and you'll get it back.

Suzanna McGee

@Matthias Schwartz, I completely feel with you. I thought I would die during my first TB session, ha ha. I didn't even realize that I (my shoulders and back) was so bad as I actually found during that first session. Now, 50 weeks later, I truly enjoy the TB stretch. I do it late Sunday night after I got all beat up in my pole class, and the stretch series is like "going to fix myself back to normal". It is all getting slowly more flexible and more comfortable. You will love it, eventually, too!!!