This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

HS1 PE4 & PPT

Started by Bill Marr, July 26, 2017 · 3 Replies · 125 Views

Bill Marr

Question about PE4 (Supine Floor Handstand Flexion) and the required Posterior Pelvic Tilt: If one lies flat on the back with knees pulled up, it is possible to get a large area of the lower back on the floor (assuming this is perfect PPT). It becomes more difficult to maintain the same area of back on the floor as one straightens the legs and subsequently points the toes. My question is, "Is it anatomically possible (and thus required for mastery) to have the same area of the back on the floor while fully supine with toes pointed as it is with knees pulled up at 90 degrees?"

Everett Carroll

Hi Bill,

Your goal is to match the form shown in the exercise video. The weighted bar should be held just off of the floor, your back (including lower) should be pressed down firmly to the ground, and your legs should be tight an engaged, resting on the floor. Strong posterior pelvic tilt is necessary to hold this position. Does this help?

Please feel free to send in a video of your hold as a visual is always very helpful. 

Bill Marr

Hey Everett. I understand the mechanics of how the exercise is supposed to be performed. My question relates more to the sensation of the amount of contact of lower back to ground when doing this with bent knees vs. straight legs and pointed toes. If it is anatomically possible to maintain the same amount of lower back contact with ground in both positions, I have work to do. If anatomically most will lose a bit of lower back contact with the ground with straight legs and pointed toes but with no arch, then I'm getting close. I'm asking because PPT is so critical to this entire program in so many areas. I don't think I've yet found that 'automatic switch' within my pelvis to activate PPT on demand in any position.

Everett Carroll

Hey Bill,

I see what you're saying now. Yes, it is possible to achieve the correct back position with locked legs and pointed toes. You'll want to begin training this drill that way 100% of the time from now on.