This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Workout intensity

Started by George Traganidas 235308, July 26, 2017 · 9 Replies · 273 Views

George Traganidas 235308

I have a questions about the intensity of the workouts. I have used the split that Summer Coach recommends in the program. So on Mondays I do only Core. I find though some of the exercises to be very easy. For example, the MN/PE4 week 1 that you do 1 rep, feels like it does absolutely nothing.

Therefore I decided to do a small change. For all the exercises I look at the Mastery set on week 9 and I do that for the whole of the 9 weeks. I do not vary the sets or reps, but do 5 sets of X reps for the full 9 weeks. Some exercises are harder and I might only do 3-4 sets in the first few weeks, but my goal is by week 9 to be able to do the full mastery set and reps as specified in the program. This makes me feel that I do a lot of work at the starting weeks of a new exercise.

I know that you have spent lots of time to come up with your programming and I am sure that it works. Is what I am doing wrong? I would like to hear your feedback and thoughts on my tweak.

Thanks,

George

Antonio Alías Montoya

Click the too easy smile if it s really so easy. As you say some exercises are hard because you are in late steps and others very easy because you are on early steps. Then my recommendation is enjoy, work on form, click the easy smile and if you want add a set of a previous progression.

Antonio Alías Montoya

You can also go to settings and adjust the step to what you consider is you current level, but i do not recommend to do what you are doing now.

Everett Carroll

Don't over-complicate the programming, George. Let us handle it on the back end after you've submitted your smiley faces. Use the easier days to perfect your form and tempo; those easier workouts serve as a time to learn the exercise and prepare the body for harder steps. 

Benjamin Nutt

Yeah, what everyone here said is good.Trust me, I've discovered major deficiencies by starting each Element from step 1. I tried the model of starting each Element at Step 9, paying little attention to good form, and "blazing" through Mastery because I was able to complete the Mastery reps. Recently, i reset Foundation from PE1 Step 1, and found holes in work capacity for 6 of the 7 movements. I'm remedying those by working from the very beginning, focusing on perfect form, and working at a "lower" level.

This reset is the result of advice from @Leo Trinidad, who might be able to weigh in here.

Trust the programming. Start slow and "easy" and work your way up. 

George Traganidas 235308

Thanks guys. Probably it is my impatience that was doing the thinking :) I will slow down and focus on my form and tempo.

Josh Earl

Also--and this is pretty much universally true in this program--if it seems easy, you are almost certainly missing some major nuances.

Little changes to your form will make even the PE1 exercises much more difficult. Definitely submit videos and then pay attention to what the coaches say. :)

Michael Thivierge

Maybe you could , let's say after getting to a more complex PE , MNPE4 Step 1 for instance like you said and doing 1 repetition, you could complement this with review/play of previously mastered MN PE (1,2,3) to ''squeeze'' some extra work in , strengthening paterns and perfecting form 

Benjamin Nutt
17 hours ago, Michael Thivierge said:

Maybe you could , let's say after getting to a more complex PE , MNPE4 Step 1 for instance like you said and doing 1 repetition, you could complement this with review/play of previously mastered MN PE (1,2,3) to ''squeeze'' some extra work in , strengthening paterns and perfecting form 

I think this is where a good warmup with plenty of volume comes into play! Will get you nice and warm, help you refine technique, and give you a good base of volume on top of which to build intensity.

Everett Carroll
19 hours ago, Josh Earl said:

Also--and this is pretty much universally true in this program--if it seems easy, you are almost certainly missing some major nuances.

 

I completely agree, Josh. Nice comment B-)