This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Which progressions to keep working?

Started by Étienne Lajeunesse, July 25, 2017 · 36 Replies · 814 Views

Everett Carroll

It has been incredibly beneficial for me to revisit all of the progressions periodically. The rotation I mentioned above allows for that: 

"You can simply rotate through all of your previously mastered progressions over multiple training days. For simplicity, let's assume you are on PE7 for all 7 elements. 

Since you train F7 on Tuesday and Thursday, you could perform PE1 exercises on Tuesday, PE2 on Thursday, PE3 the next Tuesday, PE4 after that. After three weeks, you'll have used all 6 progressions for warm-up. On the fourth week, return to PE1 and continue the rotation."

@Antonio Alías Montoya brought up a great point as well. I know from experience that I do best on upper body days if I include Pseudo Planche Push-ups and Xiaopengs into my warmup, so no matter where I fall in the rotation mentioned above. So, if I fall on a PE5 warmup day in the rotation, I'll use both Pseudo Planche Push-ups and HBP/PE5 to warmup.   

Étienne Lajeunesse

Thanks for your reply Everett!

The reason I came back to this thread is because it's adding up a lot in my warm-up.  Since I do F7 in 1 day, the warm-up takes longer than 15 minutes to do.

Alessandro Mainente

As stated you can work with the hardest on a single module.

for example with planche and front lever, there are the hollow body development and the body lever.i will use the HBhold for 1-2' or the HB rocks and after I move to the hardest variation of body lever. 

For planche I generally work with elbow planche, then a leaning variation.

Plank, hollow body position, side planche are posture work and core activation. they MUST be a part fo the warm up.

Étienne Lajeunesse

@Alessandro Mainente

I see what you mean and it makes sense.  

After some thinking, I'll try to implement a mix of both yours and Everett ideas more effectively.

Maybe a sort of previous elements conditioning with other previous elements in rotation cycle?  

I'll play with that and will come back here for some feedbacks.

Michael Vetter

@Étienne Lajeunesse thanks for asking these questions. Very helpful!

 

One thing is still on my mind: why does one do F7 and not the recommended schedule? For me the only reason I can see is limited time (on several days) or having other (sports) activities.

Is it like that or does F7 give you anything better than the recommended schedule.

 

For me the recommended schedule works nice, so I will stick with it, and might add another session of something. But still I would like to understand the rationale behind F7.

Étienne Lajeunesse
12 minutes ago, Michael Vetter said:

@Étienne Lajeunesse thanks for asking these questions. Very helpful!

 

One thing is still on my mind: why does one do F7 and not the recommended schedule? For me the only reason I can see is limited time (on several days) or having other (sports) activities.

Is it like that or does F7 give you anything better than the recommended schedule.

 

For me the recommended schedule works nice, so I will stick with it, and might add another session of something. But still I would like to understand the rationale behind F7.

Hi Michael, 

I think it's not really about doing F7 on 1 day, but rather how many times a week you want to do it.

The recommended schedule is a start for those who begin with GB.  With time, the body needs more volume to progress and that's where doing the workouts more often is needed.  

For me doing F7 twice a week on 2 days is a good way to do it.  But you still can separate the foundation series on different days, twice.  That works for all courses, except the stretch series you want to keep at once a week.

Hope it helps :)

Michael Vetter
9 minutes ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

For me doing F7 twice a week on 2 days is a good way to do it.  But you still can separate the foundation series on different days, twice.

Sorry didnt get this part :) Can you give me an example?

Étienne Lajeunesse
20 minutes ago, Michael Vetter said:

Sorry didnt get this part :) Can you give me an example?

That's fine :)

For example, here's my current  schedule :

M - HS + T

Tu - F7

W - TB

Th - F7

F - HS + T

Sa - MS

Su - FS

Even though I have to switch one of my F7 days to have more rest between both, I made this to do everything twice a week (except stretches like stated).

But you don't have to do everything in one day, you could do for example :

M - Upper + Lower

Tu - Core + HS

W - TB

Th - Upper + Lower

F - Core + HS 

Weekend - stretch MS + FS

I think @Suzanna McGee schedule looks like that.  There's no tumbling here but you get the point.  Play with that fitting it in your own schedule.

Do you understand? :)

 

Michael Vetter

I see, thanks for clarifying!

However when you dont do all F7 on one day its not F7 anymore right? :) Just normally grouping trainings.

Étienne Lajeunesse
1 minute ago, Michael Vetter said:

I see, thanks for clarifying!

However when you dont do all F7 on one day its not F7 anymore right? :) Just normally grouping trainings.

Yeah, well, that's only the title we give it, in any ways, do them all at least once a week!

Michael Vetter
Just now, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

Yeah, well, that's only the title we give it, in any ways, do them all at least once a week!

Doing that :)

Suzanna McGee
7 hours ago, Étienne Lajeunesse said:

I think @Suzanna McGee schedule looks like that.  There's no tumbling here but you get the point.  Play with that fitting it in your own schedule

@Michael Vetter I used to do F7 twice a week for long time, but then it got a little uneven in length of the workout, compared to my H1/H2 days. So now I am splitting it to:  Core+Upper  (Monday, Thursday), Lower/H1/H2 (Tuesday, Friday), MSS (Wednesday + 1 hour bike), FSS (Saturday + 1 hour bike), TBS (Sunday + 1 hour pole). Works fine too  :-)