This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Measuring Your Progress

Started by Jennifer Marie, July 24, 2017 · 1 Replies · 65 Views

Jennifer Marie

Hi fellow Athletes,

I have a wonderful story to share for anyone who feels a little frustrated with their progress. I'm posting here because it happened during my TB stretch, but it could go for anything we're working on.

I like to refer to myself as a weightlifter who works out at a CrossFit location. Weightlifting is my passion and I'm usually near the bottom of the whiteboard when I actually participate in a CrossFit workout. I'm soooo slow!

Imagine my surprise when -- while I'm hanging out in an elevated, banded bridge -- I hear two of my very competitive coaches shouting at me. It wasn't "what the heck are you doing?" or "don't hurt yourself". But instead "Wow!" and "I can't do that!"

I can't do the bridge push-ups, even with a resistance band around my hips supporting some of my weight, but I CAN do an elevated bridge with pretty decent form, and those guys who would kick my butt at a Metcon can't. They were honestly impressed!

If you're feeling frustrated with your progress, or doubting your ability as an athlete just because you can't do it just like they do on the instructional video, remember that you ARE doing it, and you ARE better than you were when you started, and you ARE getting better every day even if you can't measure that progress each day. 

So you can't (yet) do {insert the movement that is the bane of your existence} but what ARE you doing that you couldn't do last year?

Pauline Taube

Thanks for sharing, Jennifer! That's so awesome :D

Even though we are working on 'simple' movements in GST simple does not equal easy. Sometime it can be really frustrating to struggle and get stuck doing so simple moves. But these moves are actually something most people can't do, even really fit athletes and trainers in the fitness industry are totally amazed when they see someone doing something as an elevated bridge. After all it does require a good amount of strength and mobility to hold the position, and you and everyone else here should be very proud of your progress and where you are today. 

I love to hear your stories like this, would love to follow your bridge progress as well :) keep up the great work!