This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Shoulder/Upper Back Strength for Bridge

Started by Jason Allen, July 24, 2017 · 3 Replies · 107 Views

Jason Allen

I started the stretch series last week. My biggest problem right now is the last parts of the bridge series from the handstand and then all the bridges. I just can't seem to be able to get myself into even a mediocre position to work on just holding myself up. I assume its a two-fold problem, both upper thoracic and shoulder mobility and strength in those areas as well. Any tips, modifications, or exercises, other than just put the time in, that might help build  these weak spots? Thanks. 

As for the rest of my practice, I do Coach Sommer's recommended schedule and also hit the conventional gym 4 days/week.

Pauline Taube

Hi Jason,

Thank you for reaching out.

First of all, it's completely normal to not be able to perform the entire series to begin with. The final stretches are quite advanced and you may skip them at first until your strength and mobility has improved. I recommend to add some sets of the elevated cat in your daily limber routine. This will help you improve your shoulder flexion which is necessary for the bridge work.

Feel free to submit a form check of your attempt, we'd love to follow your bridge progress :) 

Jason Allen

Pauline, thanks. I thought that might be the case, but wanted to make sure. 

Jennifer Marie

Hi Jason, as you get closer to trying the bridges, search the forum threads for the TB series. There's a good thread with some helpful scaling on those last moves, such as using a resistance band under your hips to take some weight off your arms in your bridge. I found that trick very helpful in my progressions.