This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

PE1 curved thoracic spine

Started by Jeffrey Mailly, July 23, 2017 · 19 Replies · 295 Views

Jeffrey Mailly

Not a video. Screenshot of my form.

I'm not able to figure this out. What can I do to straighten my upper back?

Screenshot_20170723-135812.png

Jeffrey Mailly

Anyone?

Jennifer Marie

I'm no coach, so I can't tell where your weight is, but when I worked on shifting weight distribution evenly (instead of having most of it in my knees/arms) I found I could straighten out a little easier. It's definitely a challenge for the core!

Even weight distribution will help when you're ready to rise into headstand on the next step of the progression too.

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Jeffrey,

Good suggestions from Jennifer. Placing your knees higher up on your arms will also help you to straighten your back.

Jeffrey Mailly
On 7/25/2017 at 2:35 AM, Jeffrey Bittner said:

Hi Jeffrey,

Good suggestions from Jennifer. Placing your knees higher up on your arms will also help you to straighten your back.

So today was my next handstand day. I spent 30min filming myself and reviewing. I've tried everything I can to try and straighten out my spine during the tripod including the suggestions here and not having any luck. This is literally the best I can do. I'm not sure what else I can try. Definitely frustrating.

 

Jeffrey Bittner

Hi Jeffrey,

I highly recommend submitting a video to Video Review. Providing us with a full video will better help us to help you.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald

For back issues related to posture such as the possible excessive curvature in your thoracic spinal region... talk with a chiropractor. If you have excess curvature in your spine a chiropractor can easily correct the issue. 

Jeffrey Mailly

Here's a link to a video for form check.

 

Alessandro Mainente

Generally, the curvature can be a sign of curved spine units, it can be understood by a physio.

Jeffrey Mailly

Are you suggesting that I might want to see a chiropractor or something? When standing my posture is not as exaggerated as when in the handstand. I've been trying to sit with better posture at work and take standing/walking breaks. Doing loads of elevated cat stretch semi-daily at the suggestion of Everett for shoulders and upper back (for my thoracic bridge work). I'm currently not able to get into the correct position for bridge work so I've been told to hold off on that until my mobility improves - hence the cat stretch.

One thing I wanted to point out here. When I was younger (13/14) the doctor noticed stretch marks on my middle-back. He jokingly asked if I had been whipped or abused because that is what they look like. He diagnosed it as rapid growth of my torso from a growth spurt. I'm 6ft tall and I have been since 13yrs old. Anyways, when I try to get into the tripod as shown here it's almost like I have to compensate for my extra-long torso by bending at the spine to make my knees touch my arms. For fun today I tried a regular headstand and my spine pretty much lost the curve in the photo shown above. It felt more natural - albeit with some bad form in the legs and lumbar areas.

Jeffrey Mailly

Would love to get some more input before I try again on Sunday.

Jeffrey Mailly

@Jeffrey Bittner would love to get your input here. 

Alessandro Mainente

I would say that if you can improve the thoracic bridge range of motion than your spine it is ok. when I decide to begin to work with a client using the GB protocol the first thing I'm used to doing it is sending my new client to my physio in order to have a general assessment of the spine and general body limitations.

Jeffrey Mailly

So I've been working on this and having my wife look at my spine and taking some more photos. It appears more like the back muscles (middle traps?) are rounding but my spine is mostly straight and flat during the tripod. I will try to take better pics and videos tomorrow morning during my training session. Just curious if anyone has suggestions or if anyone has encountered this issue before. I would like to mention that over the weekend I attended a county fair. I was carrying my 40lb daughter for several hours. I felt a tightness/weakness in my middle traps in roughly the same spot that is curved in my photos/videos. Could it be  that I am just tight/weak in that area and not necessarily a thoracic curvature issue?

Ryan Bailey

Use PE9/iM as a test.

Take a side photo to see your ability to PPT and decrease the thoracic spine flexion in an unloaded position first.

Example:

Screenshot_20170815-155126.thumb.png.f3430f48e132cf898541f947d4c86de7.png

Mark Thomsen

IMHO @Jeffrey Mailly there might be some truth to the length of your torso and how much arch you'll see when touching knees to elbows. Haven't thought it thru. I suppose if you emphasized keeping your spine straight instead of touching your elbows to knees, this might solve it? Not sure. In summary, I'm with ya.

Rayne-William Fitzgerald
On 8/2/2017 at 9:52 AM, Jeffrey Mailly said:

Are you suggesting that I might want to see a chiropractor or something? When standing my posture is not as exaggerated as when in the handstand. I've been trying to sit with better posture at work and take standing/walking breaks. Doing loads of elevated cat stretch semi-daily at the suggestion of Everett for shoulders and upper back (for my thoracic bridge work). I'm currently not able to get into the correct position for bridge work so I've been told to hold off on that until my mobility improves - hence the cat stretch.

One thing I wanted to point out here. When I was younger (13/14) the doctor noticed stretch marks on my middle-back. He jokingly asked if I had been whipped or abused because that is what they look like. He diagnosed it as rapid growth of my torso from a growth spurt. I'm 6ft tall and I have been since 13yrs old. Anyways, when I try to get into the tripod as shown here it's almost like I have to compensate for my extra-long torso by bending at the spine to make my knees touch my arms. For fun today I tried a regular headstand and my spine pretty much lost the curve in the photo shown above. It felt more natural - albeit with some bad form in the legs and lumbar areas.

Go talk with a chiropractor, if you want to know if your spine is as straight aught to be. I personally had some excessive curvature and did not know about it.

Kindly realize, the forum coaches/team leaders etc, can not diagnose any possible spine issues as well as a chiropractor.

Jeffrey Mailly

I got evaluated. I've got some postural kyphosis and some lumbar lordosis. Nothing degenerative or structurally wrong. I just need to work on it for some time. Picked up a foam roller and found some related forum threads from Kit Laughlin. 3 days of foam rolling and my middle back doesn't feel like concrete as much. Damn my back is tight. Lol.

Luke Searra

Good job Jeffrey, now be consistent with what you are doing including foam rolling in combination with GST and you will be aurprised at your results.

Jeffrey Mailly

I wish I took a pic or video but my posture is significantly better in my tripod now. I'll try to post something this weekend. Foam rolling and just hanging out with my thoracic arched over the foam roller has really worked well. Also trying to keep better posture at work. In my tripod today I found myself able to push my chest out just enough to straighten the spine. Previously was not able to do that.