This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Straight leg - why so important

Started by Peter Ols, July 21, 2017 · 8 Replies · 185 Views

Peter Ols

Hi!

I just completed my 3:d weeks front splits program and I try to do as coach says and keep vastus medialis contracted to keep the leg straight.

It feels like there is thoughts behind everything in these programs so I am curious of why it is so important to keep leg straight. There are so many ideas about stretching out there and some recommendations is that you can get a good stretch with leg not straight and more bending by the hip.

I also can not keep my leg straight (left side) in the vertical shin wall stretch and does that mean that I miss effectiveness ?

Pauline Taube

Hi Peter,

Good question. In order to build strength in the splits which will allow you to do them safely it's important to keep the knees locked. When you contract your quads, your hamstrings relaxes and lengthen which is exactly what we want when stretching the hammies. Some people might have to scale the stretches to begin with, but as you progress you should work on locking your knees. 

Could you please submit a form check of the vertical shin Stretch? This is the best way to get  specific feedback :) 

Peter Ols

Ok, I just took a photo of it, quad seems tight :blink:

IMG_0980.JPG

Pauline Taube

The good thing, Peter, is it can only get better ;) 

I would recommend to move your box slightly further forward so that you have better support. Squize your right bottocks to press your hip forward (closer towards the ground). Also try to keep your upper body more upright while you gradually try to straighten out your left (front) leg. 

I hope this helps, please let us know if you have any further questions :) 

Peter Ols

Thanks Pauline:)

Alessandro Mainente

Hi peter, keeping the leg straight it is more a matter of nervous system facilitation, in this way by squeezing the quad you decrease the passive tension of the hamstring.

Tanya Hill
12 hours ago, Pauline Taube said:

The good thing, Peter, is it can only get better ;) 

I would recommend to move your box slightly further forward so that you have better support. Squize your right bottocks to press your hip forward (closer towards the ground). Also try to keep your upper body more upright while you gradually try to straighten out your left (front) leg. 

I hope this helps, please let us know if you have any further questions :) 

 

Also going off what Pauline said about the back buttock. If you push your foot into the wall this helps push the hip forward and open up the hip flexor. 

The best thing you can do with this stretch is relax into it. 

Pauline Taube
4 hours ago, Tanya Hill said:


The best thing you can do with this stretch is relax into it. 

Yeah, totally agree! Contract and relax :D

Peter Ols

Alessandro: Interesting how the nervous system works, thanks!

Thanks Tanya for additional tip about push and relax!