This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Carpal Tunnel Syndrome

Started by Bill Marr, July 20, 2017 · 2 Replies · 71 Views

Bill Marr

Morning! In the past 8 - 12 months I have been waking up to a tingling sensation in both hands. My GP (family doctor) suspected it was Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS). My oncologist (I had leukemia four years ago -- in remission now for 3 years) also suspected CTS. I was referred to a specialist who conducted nerve tests a couple of months ago. He determined I have low to moderate CTS that does not require surgery at the moment. This specialist was surprised I was doing the wrist exercises that are part of HS1. Though he didn't come right out and say it, he made it sound like he thought these may not be the best thing for someone with CTS.

I've been doing HS1 since late November 2016. Due to shoulder mobility issues I am still on PE4 --  but have gone all the way to SE4 in all four wrist exercises where I am in various steps on each. 

My questions is twofold: 

First, what are thoughts on the effect the wrist exercises may be having on CTS? I would have thought they would assist in offsetting the problem -- but this hasn't been the case. Though my CTS hasn't gotten worse, it also has not improved over the past 6 months. 

Second, to those who have experienced CTS, have you had any success in dealing with the condition naturally without surgical intervention? The internet is full of silly advice like boost Vitamin B levels, etc. Seems silly to me that a structural problem like CTS would benefit from something so minor, especially since I know my micro-nutrient levels are quite high on a daily basis. I have purchased wrist supports I have worn at night. They don't seem to help too much, so rarely wear them any more.

Any thoughts on this quite annoying issue would be most welcome!

Nicholas Murray

See a physiotherapist who has treated CTS before. Some CTS can be mechanical and structural, some can be the result of other pathologies that lead to irritation of the sheath the tendon (or nerve) runs in, the fluid surrounding the tendon or nerve, or the tendons themselves (there are 9 tendons that run through the carpal tunnel, along with a few nerves, arteries and veins. It's a complex space). Some CTS could be both.

A good physio will assess you, determine a treatment plan: you might have to do some nerve glides or nerve flossing for homework, or it might be as "simple" as some hands-on treatment over a couple of sessions. And will help you get where you want to go, instead of saying "don't do that". You mention shoulder mobility problems, which the physio should explore, along with mobility of the cervical (neck) bones; these problems may also be involved.

Q1: The coaches might comment, but this is purely my opinion (given that I haven't examined you, I am not your doctor etc). the HS wrist prep - if performed pain-free and if there is no soreness or swelling the day after - is unlikely to be provocative.

Q2: I'm a massage therapist who has had previous nerve & tendon problems around the right elbow - I had to fix the problem so a) I could keep training and b) I could keep working. I used a mixture of nerve glides, isometric holds, and dermoneuromodulation to manage the problem. There was also a great deal of swelling in the fingers of my right hand, almost to the point where I couldn't grip anything (let along hang off rings). For this I self-treated using lymphatic drainage techniques.

If none of this makes any sense to you, that's ok. Happy to explain after you see a physio.

BTW congrats on being in remission.

Bill Marr

Hey Nicholas -- awesome response. It all makes sense. Now to track down a PT with CTS experience. BTW -- the HS wrist preps feel terrific. No adverse effects.