This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Weighted Pike Holds

Started by Ben Freeman, July 19, 2017 · 1 Replies · 96 Views

Ben Freeman

My hamstring flexibility is terrible and it limits my ability to do the Mana stall bar exercises as I can't really fold my legs up towards my body without massively arching my torso to get my feet near my head....

So, I've been doing weighted Pike holds for 5x 30secs at 20kg 4-5 times a week to try and become more flexible. Progress is somewhat slow, but then being 46, I'm not expecting any miracles here.

Is this a good protocol? Can it be improved e.g. longer holds or adding more weight?

What would be the best exercise I could do 4-5 times a week for say 10 minutes, which I can tag onto every training session?

 

Alessandro Mainente

HI Ben, I suggest he weighted exercises only if your upper back it is strong enough to enter the position.

Actually I' ve seen my best improvements with the stretch Series of GB for the front split.