This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Squat form -legs together

Started by Peter Ols, July 19, 2017 · 4 Replies · 65 Views

Peter Ols

Hi!

I Struggle with the balance in my squat when my legs are together.

I can not kompress either the hips or the ankles more for now so it feels like I have to really stretch out my whole back, especially lower back to get the weight forward to avoid tipping backways.

I do not know i I have a stiff back, stiff ankles or hips or a combination. I would like some guidance on if something is compensating more than other in the posterior chain.

See. 

 

Matthias Schwartz

@Peter Ols Actually looks pretty solid to me. Legs-together squats are not easy and require more forward lean since our hips end up behind our knees rather than between them (as they would in a regular squat). The only improvement I can see is that you can maybe try to push your hips back a bit more to initiate the squat from the top. Structurally, if you improve your hamstring/glute flexibility, that squat will get easier for you and pull less on your hips and spine as you drop into it. That will come with more squat reps and focused stretching. Also, spend some quality time in the bottom of the movement (i.e., minutes) with legs together to stretch out that area.

Best,

Matt

Peter Ols

Thanks:)

I will go for some glute stretch and hope that the hips allow me to get some degrees more!

Everett Carroll

Hi Peter,

I agree with Matthias; you're doing excellent here. You can try holding a light dumbbell for more counterweight but otherwise just keep cranking on your Foundation workouts and your stretch courses (I see you own all 3). 

Alessandro Mainente

The problem on the legs together squat it is not the upper back it is the ankles. stretching the soleus will solve the problem.