This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Jefferson Curls With Dumbells?

Started by Caleb Mcmahan, July 18, 2017 · 4 Replies · 178 Views

Caleb Mcmahan

Is it ok to use dumbells for J curl?  Wondering how important it is to acquire an olympic bar.  Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hi Caleb,

Great question. Dumbbells or a bar work for these. When the weight gets heavier, however, an Olympic bar is handy. I have trained these up to 100lbs with dumbbells and seen great results, though I do prefer a bar. 

Jennifer Marie

Hi Everett,

I've been using a kettlebell for J-Curls, but both hands on one bell. It helps pull my shoulders forward, or so I imagine as I'm doing it. Should I switch to one bell in each hand so my hands are closer to shoulder-width apart?

Hi Caleb,

If you get an olympic bar, then you can have fun with the Olympic lifts too! :-)

Everett Carroll

Hey Jennifer,

You can go either way with that. I have used single dumbbells in the past and, as my weight increased, move towards two. Both work fine. 

Jennifer Marie

Thanks Everett! I do love that move.