This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Elbow/Shoulder flaring

Started by Guido Franchetti, July 17, 2017 · 2 Replies · 80 Views

Guido Franchetti

I have noticed that my right elbow/shoulder is very often a bit more open to the side than the right one. This happens both with straight and bent elbows. For example, in a plank or top pushup, or even cat/cow position I often instinctively position my hand slightly more to the side of my body, in forward rolls I tend to lower the right shoulder a bit earlier, maybe my right elbow also flares a bit more... and so on and so forth, I only noticed this recently. Not sure if I have explained this clearly, please ask me if not.

As far as I am aware, I do not have particular limitations in my right shoulder compared to my left, and once I notice it it is easy to correct. However, it seems deeply ingrained so I tend to do it without noticing.

Any idea of what may be causing it, or how to correct it, apart from paying attention every time? Thanks!

Everett Carroll

Hi Guido,

These are great things to notice but nothing to be overly concerned about. Humans are naturally asymmetric and any athlete's movement, no matter their level, can be picked apart. That said, it is always worth working towards symmetry and a good sports physio can help you do this well.

Otherwise, you are doing the right thing by recognizing and working to fix the difference between the two sides. There is always something like this to work on and it's great you have already started making adjustments. Feel free to send in video footage as well. We may be able to provide some additional tips. 

Guido Franchetti

Thanks a lot for the reply Everett! I'll try and steadily correct this without over-stressing about it, then. Will make a compilation showing right side asymmetries if I get the chance.