This forum is archived information and is no longer active.

Barbell Sugguestions

Started by Luke Banchy, July 17, 2017 · 2 Replies · 104 Views

Luke Banchy

Hey guys,

I'm looking to purchase a light weight barbell for general mobility and technique (jerk/clean). As of now I'm using an old piece of pvc, but I'd like something I can use for weighted mobility. Does anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking at Rogue's site right now and they have some "technique bars", but also have other light weight barbells.

Anyways, it struck me I'm probably not the first person to go looking for a solution, so I figured I'd ask y'all.

Best, 

Luke

Everett Carroll

Hey Luke,

I'd go with the regular weighted barbells. For mobility, it's best to either have multiple bars of different weights or a lighter bar and plates. 

Luke Searra

Luke,

Rogue also has marked PVC pipes which will be useful for gauging progress with weighted mobility.

Learning olympic lifts without a barbell is close to impossible for the very good reason that you have no accurate tactile/spatial feedback against the weight which is necessary to understand how to get underneath the bar and lock out the bar overhead for both olympic lifts.

Money permitting I would perhaps go with a practice bar and a standard bar. The practice bar will also be very good depending on your level of tightness for weighted mobility.